More hoops please: Season's begun...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 9, 2010.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Determined to have one hoops thread to every 30 or so football threads, let's move past the pre-season hoops talk to the actual season talk. Tigers play their scrimmage last Friday, where the young guns give fans something to talk about, and this Friday, the young Tigers officially kick off their season to another in-state tune up.

For consideration, here is some interesting fodder: Jrlz talks Basketball part II: 5 Questions about LSU Hoops - And The Valley Shook, although this was written before the scrimmage last week. 21 points later from Ralston Turner, and perhaps someone other than Malcolm White will lead these young Tigers.

Think there is parity in college basketball (or frankly, off nights or bad coaching)? Bruce Pearl under fire for the NCAA investigation, has his team lose to Division II Indianapolis in their exhibition game...

Bruce Pearl holds 5:30 a.m. meeting after Volunteers' defeat - NCAA Basketball - SI.com

Remember, Pearl was annointed not too long ago as perhaps in the SEC coaching elite. Not only are his recruiting tactics called into question, but now, his coaching is. Wow.

Bracketologists have already started... Six SEC teams, with Miss St being the only one from the SEC West predicted in. Good news is, usually these folks know very little about basketball. :lol:

Preseason Bracket Watch for 2011 NCAA tournament - Andy Glockner - SI.com

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I know Coach Johnson seems excited about this team (hard to tell with this guy :lol:) but I'm looking forward to this season.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'll be there front and center Friday for the opener. Excited to see what we got.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Great time to be a Vol.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

My season tix have not come in the mail yet.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

:hihi:

I have to be on campus Friday...I might take the game in while I'm there.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Who should the starting 5 be?

Tigerbait had a good summary on Trent's debating who will be the starting 5 this Friday against NW State...

TigerBait.com - Starting lineup not determined

It looks like the real debate is at the 1 and 4 spots... Bass or Stringer? and Warren or Ludwig? Warren is a little dinged up, as is Jalen Courtney. But, no injury excuses for Dennis Harris or Garrett Green.

Also more SEC news... which team is surprisingly getting a lot of pub in the SEC East? You'd think Florida (who was picked as Media SEC East #1) or Kentucky with their stellar recruiting class. Actually, it's Mark Fox led Georgia. Rivals.com College Basketball - Fox has Georgia shooting for SEC East

And, you know, not mentioned once in the article is the fact that Fox is a Trent Johnson disciple. Kudos Trent, again.

8. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Very excited that the season is here. Should be fun to watch this team grow throughout the year.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

WJBO just played a clip of Matt Derenbrecker saying Trent has been emphasizing regaining respect for the program that was lost last year. Interesting.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Yeah, perhaps the most interesting tape is that of Trent at yesterday's press conference, which is available for listen on the Advocate's site, as well as I'm guessing lsusports.net. Alot of stuff on the recruits, and him looking forward to the game.

In terms of the recruits, Trent is obviously real high on both kids he signed. JOB is a kid that is a difference maker on the frontline, and seems like a grounded kid. Isaac also really excites me b/c Trent chalks him up as a total athlete--played defensive end this season at 6'4" 215 lb and went up and showed Trent the knee was fine by two-hand dunking a ball off one leg and flip-flops. If you think about our SG rotation, you're going to see Turner, Dotson, Derenbecker, Courtney and Isaac in years to come... that's a far cry from Spencer and Kinsley from last year. No offense to them, but these are legitimate 6'4"-6'7" wings who are athletic, can shoot and have high IQs. O'Bryant on the front line with White, Warren, and Hamilton also makes me salivate. Throw in a 7'2" Del Peiro, too? :hihi:

I think the only question mark, and it's still a big one, is who is your point of the future? Bass and Stringer are proficient, but probably deficient in certain ways. I think Trent is largely looking at the spot as a "quarterback" who can defend and distribute, but you can never underestimate the importance of a good PG. On the recruiting horizon, there's Javon Felix, but he's not a knock your socks off kind of guy. We'll see how Stringer and Bass develop, of course. But, 2012 starts with the point. Gathers, if he's going to develop into a NBA 3, would do well to join this group for the day to day practice and improvement--it's a good bunch.

Lastly, this team on Friday is really going to be fun to watch. Largely b/c unlike last year, if there is lack of production in the starters, we actually can go to the bench. It feels like Dotson and Turner are going to be a dynamic duo, with Stringer being an intriguing piece. White is going to be dependable, if not spectacular, and then Warren and Ludwig mix in nicely. The key to me still comes down to who is going to be your go-to, or where the offense starts first. Who is also going to be the aggressor and call for the ball. I think by Trent's inklings, it's White, Dotson or Turner. Dotson being aggressive going to the hoop or White in the post is probably where it starts. Turner isn't as much as a creator as much as he's a guy that's going to keep moving and hit jump shots. How quickly Stringer can get into the mix is also another interest subplot. I'll be looking to see exactly how quick and under control Stringer is.

Dennis Harris and Derenbecker are gravy, IMO, off the bench.