More likely: FB-NC or BB-NCAA bid

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, Aug 6, 2004.

?

Which is more likely to happen in 04-05 season?

1. Football wins National Championship

39 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Basketball gets and NCAA bid

35 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I will say this about this thread, the title of this thread is silly!

Almost everyone would rather see a sport win a title over just making the playoffs,
    much less football.

I could care less if basketball ever wins a title as long as our football program
    rocks, that is most important to me!

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Did we hire a "maybe" as a head football coach in 1999?

Did we hire a "maybe" as a head women's basketball coach in 2003?

Did we hire a "maybe" as a head women's softball coach in 2000?

Did we hire a "maybe" as a men's head baseball coach?

No, we hired proven winners. Saban had won 10 games in the Big 10 and had proven he could recruit in Michigan where Big Blue was king.

No, we hired proven winners. Pokey led the team that she recruited after Gunter went down to health issues that eventually ended her career to the Women's Final Four and a hair's breath away from the Championship Game (Which probably saved them from a totall @sswhipping by UConn, but that's neither here nor there).

No, we hired proven winners. Yvette Giroaurd (I'm not sure that U is in the right place) had taken teams to the WCWS before and built the ULL program up from-quite literally-nothing. She's brought LSU over the hump Glen Moore never could (Though that hump was more Courtney Blades than anything against Moore) which is to reach the WCWS (two years now!).

No, we hired proven winners. Smoke was the head recruiter for LSU's first two national championship teams (non gorilla ball w/dominant pitchers) and then went on to a nothing program in UL-M and made them into a small school powerhouse that was regularly ranked in the Top 25 and actually made noise in the NCAA Tournaments (Remember where All-Star and Olympic Gold Medalist Ben Sheets went to school?).

We hire proven winners at LSU. Brady's a proven inconsistency. Even you as a fan admit that you're unsure of whether or not he can overcome...himself? Come on! We at LSU are better than that. There are proven winners out there, and if Coach K's dalliance w/the Lakers is any indication, it's that almost EVERY college coach in America "has their price".

Let's go out and get a winner. Why settle for someone whose in his mid-40's and can't get out of his own way? Why settle for an unknown quantity one second longer than we have to?

I may not agree that Smoke was the best hire (That has more to do with Skip's arrogance and/or wishes of a golden parachute into retirement than with Laval's competency), but he's gotten us where we want to go. Same with Chatman. Same with Saban.

Brady ain't gotten us nowhere...Period. Cut the bait. Restring the line. Cast again...We're BOUND to find something better...

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

WOW , I think Brady must have hit his ol lady in the chooooooote, or something. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

You know what the sad thing is...You all act like I'm stupid for my criticism, but the fact is that the bradybuttmunchlunchmunch is tied with those that think a national title is more likely than an NCAA bid without my vote towards the NC in CFB...

How that must puzzle you all...That not only one you think is silly or can't read or is just a doophis or has poor reading comprehension skills thinks the same way as half the other people out there...and that they either don't care, were made not to care with apathy due to the product, or just simply dislike him as I do...

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i didnt read most any of that.

i don't really dislike you like a lot of others, however, you really need to make an effort to summarize your thoughts better. You claim to be educated but you dont seem to understand how you come across...after so many 2000 word replies you end up losing any meaning to your posts whatsoever. You could usually make your points in 3 sentences but hey, its your call.

I did read the proven coaches part....i already know your stance as I have read your posts before as most anyone who has been here for more than a month.

Given that, no matter how strongly you express your views of brady it isnt going to change how anyone else feels....for sure, not mine.
    I'm just not certain why you feel the need to express your great insight above all others who are somewhere in the middle. Not wanting him as coach is one thing....belittling and constant bad-mouthing the guy is another. It seems he did something very personal to you and if not, then its a worry.

6. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Need one more vote to break the tie.

7. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

C'mon, guys-

It's tied 32-32 and there won't be a recount. Can't we get someone to break the tie?

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

So you would vote for NC? You said yourself that Brady had 2 bids in 7 years. Considering that Saban has 1 NC in 4 years, odds are in Brady's favor, compounded by the odds against repeating. This isnt a "who's better" poll. Fact is, its easier to be in the top 65 of any sport than it is to be number 1, even if John Brady is the coach.

9. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Shoot, sorry, it was 33-32, and I tied it up again. I'm pretty sure we're NIT bound at best, but the NC is certainly within reach of the third ranked team in the country IMO.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Went ahead and voted to break the tie, for b-ball of course. I'd MUCH rather the football team win another NC but I think it's at least 50% that the b-ball team makes the dance. Odds for football are obviously not that high.

Not sure if all the people voting for football were just joking or if they don't understand probability. I'll agree with TE on one thing. If this year's team doesn't make the tourney, Brady's time should be up. Until then, he has my full support.