More love for UGA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by edyel, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Why does Georgia "Deserve" respect? Personally I'm glad the media is ready to hump UGA's leg. Takes the pressure off National Champs, LSU. Georgia is nothing until they can prove they can beat LSU.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

How can you say that? The guy led UGA to its first SEC Title in 20 years winning Offensive POY.....he beat Tennessee AT Tennessee in 2001 for the first time since 1980 and did it with less then a minute left AND without any timeouts AND as a freshman....beat Alabama AT Alabama for the first time in Georgia's entire history.....walked UGA down the field with 2 minutes left to beat Auburn AT Auburn......the guy raises us to another level on MANY occasions

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

OK. Having said those things, while the prevent defense might have been a "bad call", it was a breakdown by the deep players (James/Hunt) allowing the receivers to get behind them that led to the touchdown. If you can't trust the players to execute the defense you put in, then calling that defense admittedly is a "bad call". I don't have a problem with a prevent defense in certain game situations. It just seems that it bites the Saints in the butt every time it is called.....

4. LSUDeek

I don't think that this forum is being entirely fair to Greene. His first two seasons were All-SEC. This past year he was hampered by a bad offensive line in the two games he lost against LSU. Let's be fair - UGA only lost to LSU and Florida. They won 11 games!

I guess when all we saw this past year were so-so/bad performances by Greene against our team, it leads to tunnel vision. Look at it this way: did ANY quarterback have a good game against us?

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

LOL...Good one. Georgia is a good team and Mark Richt is an excellent coach...as long as they're not playing in Jacksonville, that is.

Look, I have much respect for Georgia, it's fans and it's coaches. They remind me of an Eastern division version of LSU--good athletes, well coached, passionate fans.

Nothing but respect for the Dawgs from this LSU fan. :thumb:

6. SCTMO

SCTMO Founding Member

Andrew,

I have to disagree with you on this one. Saban, himself, admitted he made a mistake. If memory serves, we had been able to get to the qb all day... pretty much containing their passing game (the running game was another story). In fact, prior to that drive, Arkansas has completed TWO passes all day! By dropping into the prevent, we only rushed 3 men (the linemen), giving Matt Jones a hell of a lot of time to complete those passes.

Coach Saban is an amazing coach, and though some may say that the National Championship forgives his past mistakes (which I agree with to an extent), the defensive breakdown in that last drive was the main reason we didn't go to Atlanta in 2002.

In addition, you could argue that the decision to kick the field goal (and go up 6 points) instead of going for it on 4th and 5 from Arkansas' 12 yard line (as our run game had been solid that day except for some Toefield fumbles) was also a bad decision.

Of course, that is all in the past. I'm just writing this, though, so people stop jumping on SouthLink because he's one of the nicer visiting fans you'll see on this board, and he IS making good points.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Southlink, I guess I worded it wrong if you are taking it so bad as I was really trying to say Green is pretty good. But I will have to say that he didn't raise the level of play around him, UGA has been loaded, he did make some big plays in those games though and I wasn't trying to say that the team didn't have confidence in him. And last season he showed that although he does have talent he was not able to make a bad offense good. His first 2 years he had very good players all around him and he and them performed very well. Last season he had average players in many positions and they performed bad to average. i like green. i did have some arguments with some of my UGA friends early in the year when we were watching I think the clemson game and one of them brought up Green leaving early. I said he wasn't an NFL caliber QB at that point because he doesn't have any arm strength. They all jumped all over me, stating that I wished LSU had a QB half as good, etc., etc.

I tried to say that I thought he had all of the other attributes but mobility and arm strength but they didn't want to hear it. My the middle of the season they were all saying the same thing, especially after the LSU game.

8. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

I don't care much about respect at this point. Actually, I wouldn't mind having just a little less respect than we do right now. It just feels so good to shock the media! It will once again be GA and LSU in the SECCG....this time let's have it in Death Valley though! Then next year we can go back to Atlanta and rotate every year or so!

9. LSUDeek

I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Bad call or not, if the players execute the game plan they don't score a touchdown. That is what I was trying to say the first time.

10. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

He couldn't make a "bad offense good"? :confused:

UGA ran for more yards in 2003 then they did in 2002 and Georgia finished 3rd in the SEC behind Ole Miss and Florida in pass offense.

UGA got handled by LSU but outside of that.....Greene did quite well most of the year. His TD's stat reminds me of pitching wins in baseball.....a very over-rated stat, IMO because he had 2 TD's dropped in the South Carolina game, 1 in Clemson, and so on....the WR's were terrible last year...quite a letdown :cuss:

And it's Green"e" :wink: