More Saban/NFL talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pastimer, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I'm not saying there is any validity to these remarks. I'm not saying I believe them. I am only reporting what was on ESPN Radio just now on "Game Night."

In introducing "NFL Insider" Len Pascarelli (sp?), host Jack Arute said "Now that the leadership is in place in Atlanta they can just send a plane down to Baton Rouge and pick up Nick Saban, or at least after LSU wins the National Championship - NOT!"

Pascarelli replied that the Falcons would make a big push for Nick Saban but that Saban might not be interested in the Falcons job because it is "top heavy" with a GM, an owner who is too involved with the team, etc. He went on to say if Dave Wanstedt loses his job in Miami that Saban would be the top candidate there and with as many as 10 head coaching jobs coming open in the NFL that some team might be willing to pay as much as $4 million a year to "blow Saban out of Baton Rouge."

We all remember when Texas A&M first signed Jackie Sherrill that there was so much criticism that a college would pay a head coach so much. Is LSU in a position now that they have to raise that ceiling to unheard of levels to keep Nick Saban?

I guess I am of the opinion that LSU should do what it takes. The invesment, however large, should pay for itself many times over.

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

How much would the press and media coverage that LSU is getting over the last month and over the next month would it cost?

Well over 4 million dollars I can assure you.

If Nick Saban is the Head Coach, LSU will be a consistent top 5/10 team year in and year out.

Hopefully the powers that be are able to see the big picture.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Can't we just quit posting this kind of stuff until this happens.

Nick has hinted to the contrary of going to the NFL.

This is getting really Old!!!!!!!!!!!

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Emmert and Bertman have both said they can't compete with the NFL in terms of money. But WE can make him want to stay. I'm going to cut his grass for free and bring him some Crawfish Etouffee for supper. Then I might as well wash the car and clean out the garage while I'm there.

5. alaman

alaman Founding Member

This is getting old. Both Saban and his

wife have said they are staying at LSU. You either believe them or think they are liars. Personally I believe them.

6. stk

stk Founding Member

Let me know if you need any help.

7. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I know what you're saying, Sourdoughman. I wish it weren't a story, but so long as it is I think it is interesting to note what is being said out there.

Brett is right, though, that even these discussions in the national media bring priceless publicity to LSU. And it is positive publicity: LSU has a coach that's good enough to be first on nearly everyone NFL coaching list. Beat's the heck out of what was being said about LSU's last three coaches.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Quote:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by COramprat
    Emmert and Bertman have both said they can't compete with the NFL in terms of money. But WE can make him want to stay. I'm going to cut his grass for free and bring him some Crawfish Etouffee for supper. Then I might as well wash the car and clean out the garage while I'm there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you need any help.
    .......................................................................................................

When I come back to BR on vacation I'm willing to do my share
    to help you guys.

Pastimer,
    I guess its still better than years past
    :)

9. Hachidan

Hachidan Freshman

According to another board Saban was asked about the NFL. "How many pro jobs will there be?"

Nick said, "I don't know". The fellow continued, "7 or 8".

Nick replied, "That is exactly why I don't want one!"

10. jjfl

jjfl Founding Member

that's pretty good. he's got a great way with words.