More Saban/NFL talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pastimer, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

One thing that seems to be true is that these "Saban to the NFL rumors" do not appear to be hurting LSU's recruiting. You know that rival coaches are tossing that information around like crazy. That also tells me that Nick Saban is assuring his recruits that he is staying in Baton Rouge.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

very true Pastimer
    :)

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I will be washing his dog on a weekly basis.....and read his children bedtime stories.

Come on Tiger fans, chip in and do your part to keep Saban here.

P.S. I hear he likes his feet massaged....

4. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Well, if his name is being mentioned on ESPN and in the media you cannot ignore it.

This talk may be intended to get Nick that big contract. Jimmy Sexton wants Nick to get the biggest contract possible. To do that he has to turn it into a bidding war. It's the American Way. This talk is good for Nick in his negotiations with LSU.

Second this "we love it here in Baton Rouge" is what you would expect them to say. They said the same thing in East Lansing. It's not that they are liars, they may be far from it, but they have to say it. I mean who's going to say, "yeah there are a lot of things we miss in Michigan and it took awhile for us to get used to this place and are all these good friends really our friends or are they our friends because he's football coach at LSU and he's winning." Gee, ask Dinardo how many good friends he had after two seasons in Baton Rouge. Ask Gerry where are they now.

This is the nature of the business. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Don't beleive everything being said on ESPN and don't believe everything being said in Baton Rouge. College football coaching is a cruel business. Institutions survive and individuals often don't.

5. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

I dont know about Dinardo but I know people who are still good friends with Mike Archer; I think most coaches know who their real friends are and which ones are just friends because they are the coach of a certain team.

6. CTIGER

CTIGER Founding Member

Heard on the radio today, LSU is putting $3 mil up for Saban's new contract. If this is true , I believe it will take a hell of alot to get him away from here. And LSU will be setting a new standard in college for paying coaches.

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Contrar', mon ami' a few examples of individuals lasting and becoming icons.
    Bear Bryant
    Charlie Mac
    Paterno
    you get the idea. Nick may be here a very long time, or he may leave tommorow, for in reality you don't have a clue like anyone else. If anyone knows it would be Saban and he might not know for sure. The coaches you refered to SUCKEd that's why they aren't at LSU. YOU see unlike other schools LSU expects, demands excellence in college acedemics and sports. Nick Saban isn't likely to become a Gerry D. because he aspires to Excellence and achieves what he sets out to acomplish.
    I bet he says he is happy here because he is. Nick is a straight shooter and I bet if he didn't like it here, we wouldnt be winning. THAT's why he LEFT Mich State. when your not happy it's very hard to produce results. YEAH he might be here a VERY LONG time. NICK SABAN fits Louisiana State just right. I bet he even likes Boudin and cold cous cous! le bonne Temps rolle' Geaux Tigahs BLAST the SOONERS!

8. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I agree with everything you said. I've said before that I don't think he'll leave in the near future. He is a straight shooter, but he thinks before he speaks. He's a good coach and intelligent man and decent person. I don't think you'll find a better football coach right now.

One the reasons why he left MSU was because he feared for his job security there. He was afraid that there was a chance that he'd get fired after his third straight bowl blow out and after he didn't make a bowl after his fourth season. His fifth season at MSU was his make or break season. MSU fumbled in not giving him an extention after the 99 Michigan game. But given his three bowl blow-outs and his non-bowl fourth season and his not so great relationship with the adminstratino at MSU, the administration at MSU wanted to wait on an extension. If you recal after the 99 Michigan MSU was beaten by Purdue and Wisconsin. After the 98 OSU upset MSU finished out of the bowl running. From the MSU adiminstration stand point, Nick wasn't such a sure thing. Hindsight is 20/20. By the way Nick got the MSU job after Fran Ganter at Penn. State turned it down. Funny how things work. Like I said a lot of things go into coaches leaving jobs.

9. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I have heard Nick Saban say at least a dozen times that he would like to stay at one place and build a legacy there. When he was on the radio with his wife he said it and added it would be nice to accomplish at LSU what Bowden did at FSU. I heard that interview myself. I also heard him say he would like to coach at one place for 20 years. Add to that all the times I have heard him say he loves it at LSU and the upper support is there and that makes the difference.

what about the NFL? well, i have never heard him say anything except "maybe one day" . I did hear him say twice this year that he doesn't watch the NFL. He told reporters in a wednesday after prcatice interview that "I don't watch one second" of NFL football when they were on him about Dominick Davis. Saban said he was happy for him but that he did not watch the NFL. he repeated that when he was asked by a fan on a wednesday night show if he watched football. said he is not interested in the NFL.

My take is Nick likes it here and will not leave as long as the support is here for him and the fans do not turn on him if we go 8-4. The man has had every chance to go to the NFL and has consistently chosen college. he was on the fast track as a NFL coordinator. he did not have to go back to college, he chose to.

Ever wonder why Saban doesn't make commercials? maybe because he values time with his family more than $$$$.

those who think this guy is a "typical" coach full of coach speak have him figured wrong IMO. I think he genuinely enjoys coaching college and coaching the young players.

10. Hachidan

Hachidan Freshman

Great point about the commercials, Turbotiger!