More Spring Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Rewatched the game -

1. None of the QBs made very good throws. I'd say Lee's passes were the most consistent and accurate in general. Garrett didn't throw much. Jefferson had a couple of nice passes dropped, and threw a lot of balls away. But in general he did not look as sharp as Lee.

2. OL play on both teams was strong - but that was aided by the lack of strong play by the DTs.

3. Craig Loston and Kevin Minter are very strong defensive backups.

4. Mingo looked tough to block, but he's very small. Rahim Alem was tough to handle off the edge too, but teams just took advantage of his speed to step inside him and run around the end. I worry about that with Mingo - doesn't take much to push him a foot or two outside and then burn around his end. He needs to build some size.

5. That said - all the DEs looked good. Montgomery is going to be a stud - he needs to add some weight as well.

6. Ridley is still a very good RB - but Ford is in a different league. He seems to be ready to go - a complete back.

7. I hate to say it this way - but Russell Shepard is still just a ton of unrealized potential right now. Hope he works a ton of 7 on 7 this summer.

I still don't think we should take too much from this game. The secondary, for instance, is very good and gave the QBs a tough task - there just wasn't a lot of blown coverage or even poor coverage.

But one thing is certain - QB is still a question for LSU and the answer to that question will determine whether LSU will compete next year or not in the SEC.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Good recap Bandit, and I agree with the part above. Shepard is NOT the answer at QB of JJ and JL don't get it done. One of those 2 will be the guy. Shep gave up on QB, and I think even he sees he doesn't have the passing skill to be a big time QB. It's his speed and shiftiness that make him, he's got to get the ball in space. He is doing what's best for him and LSU.

Fall camp will be interesting, but we don't have the QB thing solved by any stretch.

With a good running game, and a good defense, we can compete with anybody. We'll need a QB that can manage the game and pick up a 3rd and 10 when we need it. We'll just have to pass enough to keep the defense honest. We don't have a QB as effective as Mauck or Flynn. If we can keep the defense honest, we'll be ok.

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Couldn't have said it better Bandit. It looks like Ford is speedier and more elusive than Ridley. There was one screen pass to the right where Ford just left the defender grasping at air. He also seems to have good vision, as he frequently made cutbacks that took advantage of the defense when it over pursued. Ridley looks bigger, but I think Ford is the more complete back.
    Being too lazy to do the legwork, here is a question. I read where Nevis was out due to a bad ankle. Could our DL's inability to stop the run have anything to do with our top personnel being out? Did we have enough defensive starters playing together on the Purple team?

4. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

We're fine at every position except the most important one, Quarterback. Got two talented players but neither one has it together. If they don't play well, we have no chance this season.

5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I think with a lil coaching the DL could be very good. Thats also IF the DTs step up their game. The DEs get a very good push upfield against the pass. Especially Mingo and Montgomery. They just need to hold better against the run, which is where the lack of size and strength come into play. I dont know what was wrong with the DTs, but they looked horrible to put it bluntly. I dont think its just a lack of size.

The tackling needs serious work. Its worse than it was towards the end of last year. LSU is a horrible tackling team. We need to coach that up big time. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals..............

Ive defended JJ a lot recently but I cant after yesterday. He showed zero improvement, if anything regression. The OL did its job. The running game will most certainly be improved which will help but if he cant hit a receiver it does no good. The DBs did make his job tough, but still. He is holding too long. Lee is the better passer at this point but I dont at all trust him come game time. He is a shot QB after being over played as a FR. QB play must improve or else LSU is looking at another disappointing season. Granted the D has a ways to go as well, I feel fairly good about them come season time. Miles and staff have their work cut out for them.

I think LSU will be good, but can they contend again?

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

About the DT's, on white, I thought #50 was active and in the play a lot. That was Chris Davenport, RS frosh, came in 5*. He's got size, I thought roster said 315.

7. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Im not so sure its just lacking size. I think its technique, not really sure what to be honest. LSU made its name with undersized DTs with Booger, Lavalais, Williams, to Dorsey. None were the really big guys. I think Nevis will make a difference. Hopefully it was just an off game, but they looked really bad yesterday. Whatever it is the coaches must address the DTs and the tackling. I think the DEs will do fine with a lil more time and practice.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I just don't get this one. And it isn't something that started when Chavis got here, either. I wonder if it just comes with the territory with highly touted recruits who are trying to get their faces on SportsCenter with highlight hits.

9. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

We were missing 3 starters on the DL.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Some of it surely involves a transition from HS to SEC. If you're an all-star in HS you probably knock kids down with your hits. At LSU, the guy you hit is bigger, faster, stronger and more agile - plus he's meaner too. A hit likely won't be enough.