More Spring Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If we're talking about 11 true freshman defenders I could understand that. After a year of playing at this level it has to be obvious to even the dimmest light bulb that a shoulder block or arm tackle or just laying the pads down low ain't gonna be enough to bring down top offensive players. God gave you two arms, use them to wrap up the damn ball carrier.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This. I don't know why people continue to make a big deal about the DL. They'll be as good or better than last year...and that's good enough to win...assuming they aren't on the field all game long. With the emergence of Ridley and Ford, AND a run blocking OL, that shouldn't be an issue like it was last year.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Well I guess I only see folks making a big deal of the QB question. I think it's fair to point out the apparent softness of the DL. And I'm not sure which 3 starters were out since the DL has been one of the few places on the defense with competition this Spring - and there's always a rotation there anyway.

I hope those three missing starters are the answer. Otherwise - LBers better step it up even further.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

It was Nevis, Downs, and Chancey A. Pretty big names. Two of them are going to be the full-time starters.

5. dudley

dudley oops!

I saw Downs playing at the start of the game, then I saw him playing a down limping, then he disappeared. Did he have surgery and isn't fully recovered, or ????. Wonder if he will be ready to go by fall?

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I don't believe Downs had surgery. He missed some practices last week because of an injury and must of aggravated it during the game.

7. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I like Downs and he gives great effort, but it seems like he is always getting hurt.

8. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Got to tell ya this sums it all up for me as well. Lee did what we all hoped he would not do any more and Jefferson just seems to be stagnant in his development (kind of like he was at the end of last year). I'm a little nervous about our chances this year. Even if we are a rock solid running team all it takes is loading the box to stop us. Not to mention I know our O-line has got to be better than last year (at least I hope) but I doubt they are going to be dominate. Of course correct me here if I am wrong.

I'm just hoping the coaching staff will have a battle plan to fix the issues from now until we play UNC. Other wise start the clock on the end of the Miles era.

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Agreed. I guess I just don't see a dominant DT in that group, so I think of them more in terms of "rotational" players rather than "starters". But your point is taken - there was a serious hit to the depth at those positions.