More suspensions for wearing patriotic clothing.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerFan23, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I love that they are a joke. The main people that wear them are high school aged pot heads.

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Criminals, as in one of the proposed bills would have made illegal entry a felony, as well as assisting an illegal. Not necessarily being treated as criminals everyday at school.

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Tell me how the following quote from the article indicates that they are wearing these clothes to support hatred of people.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Show me how the following quote indicates that they aren't wearing these clothes to support hatred.
    It's unfortunate that the ban had to be put into place, and some things are going to be affected that have nothing to do with the situation. For instance, maybe that girl was wearing the Marine t-shirt simply in support of her brother, but maybe not.

I never want to stop people from being patriotic & showing support for their country & military, but this is a temporary situation where the clothes weren't being worn for that purpose but another much more sinister purpose.

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Stuff from another article that shows just how misconstrued these protesters are. More student walk outs today.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190085,00.html

6. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Well what do you expect when all they see on the news is Hispanics doing the same thing with their flag in the U.S. I won't get into it here because there is already a thread on the immigration issue, but come on. This just shows the school has no control over its students.

Whether or not flags were being waved to suppot hatred of people, it still doesn't explain how wearing a shirt in support of troops supports hatred of Hispanics.

How about disciplining the students who were initially causing trouble, as opposed to banning clothing in violation of First Amendment rights.

Frankly, it seems to me that this principle has no control over her students. Which is sad, considering this is a middle school we're talking about.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

yea really. it always seems like some school somewhere is making some dumb decision as a response to some problem that should be solved in a way which will cause zero controversy. in this case, you just punish kids who are actively starting trouble, so the punishment is for the troublemaking, not the shirt-wearing.

schools principals are always morons, my aunt is one, and she is awful.

8. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

That's the whole key. Enforce truancy laws and give them an "F" for the day (any of them who walk out, regardless of what side they are on) like they are supposed to do and there is no need to ban the American or any other flag.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Hispanics are supporting themselves with their flags - it has nothing to do with opposing the US (except on this issue). The kids with their American flags aren't really doing this to support America, but to oppose mexicans.

Patriotic clothing was being worn to support hatred, so it was banned. That, unfortunately, included troop support t-shirts.

I'm sure the (legal) mexicans were only expressing their first amendment rights as well. A dress code in a school is not a violation of the first amendment. The clothing is causing a temporary problem, it was banned. Students who didn't follow the rules were disciplined.

No principal ever has control over their students. They aren't allowed to give consequences serious enough for it to matter to many of them.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Please explain to me what that means? lol