More suspensions for wearing patriotic clothing.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerFan23, Apr 7, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

not all of us are habitual limit pushers such as yourself.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And not all of the students are causing trouble.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I wondered the same thing.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

A fundamental flaw with society today. People are no longer held accountable for their actions because nobody is willing to be accountable. Lets just let everyone run around breaking the rules, because we're too afraid to discipline them.

Sorry bud, but I just disagree with you about the issue. You take care of the troublemakers. You don't make rules that will affect everybody and just hope that the problem goes away. The school just learned that one the hard way and lost all credibility by reversing the dress code ban.

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

But at this school, they are all prohibited from wearing or displaying anything that contains the American flag. No different from taking away all guns because criminals misuse them. Punish the offenders while protecting the rights of everyone else is what I say.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Rules were meant to be broken. :hihi: I can't say I agree with you here. Everybody is still held accountable and people are still disciplined. It's less so than it used to be because so many middle aged parents were disciplined too strictly when they were kids, so they've eased up too much.

In general, I agree that the trouble makers should be punished & everybody shouldn't have to suffer for the actions of a few. So what's your solution? How can the school stop students from segregating & hating without putting restrictions on the way in which the students were expressing it?

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yea, it is different. Ya'll seem to be missing the fact that this was temporary. What's your solution?

8. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Simple. Suspend the students who are segregating and hating. Give them detention. Make them come in on the weekend and pick up trash. Ritually beat them. That last one was a joke.

But seriously, there are ways to discipline students that aren't considered "harsh". Hell, I got detention in high school for sitting on a table in the student lounge. Because of that detention, I missed track practice. Because I missed track practice, I had to run extra. Oh yeah, and then of course I got bitched at by my parents for being stupid and breaking the rule in the first place. What did that teach me? Don't sit on the tables in the student lounge.

9. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

The solution directly violated the law of the state of Colorado for one, not to mention the US constitution. It should have been addressed before it was allowed to escalate. The students should have been warned before hand no walk-outs would be permitted when the word started circulating that these events were going to take place. Then, once they do walk out, you enforce the rules as they are written. If kids act improperly, you discipline them for fighting, taunting whatever the case may be, but you do not violate law in an ad-libbed attempt to diffuse the situation once the administration has allowed it to get out of control. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, at least that's what the old folks always say.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

How do you say, "Timmy - I saw you not being friends with Jose & disliking him for being mexican. You're going to detention today." The enforcement isn't that simple. If it was, this wouldn't be an issue.