More suspensions for wearing patriotic clothing.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerFan23, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Only because it was one-sided. If they had banned all flags/patriotism as they should have, then it wouldn't have been.

Agreed, but it's already past that.

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

They did, but only the American flag is protected under the law. Hence, the ACLU coming to the rescue of the "unprotected".

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Simple. "That type of behavior will not be tolerated here. Maybe a day or two in detention will give you some time to think about that. If that doesn't work, maybe a few days at home will do the trick." Like I said earlier, that alone would teach me to keep my mouth shut at school. But then again, I was raised to respect authority and the rules and my parents would fry my ass if I were ever suspended for something like that. I guess times have changed that much in the 7 years since I was in high school.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What type of behavior? How can you punish kids for not being friends?

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

But the Colorado law is unconstitutional, apparently.

6. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

It's not a question of punishing kids for not being friends. It's a question of punishing kids for discriminating against another because of his ethnic background.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

But determining that is not simple. Jose was picked last for dodgeball. Does somebody get a detention? Juan says that kids look at him funny. Do kids get detention? Maria feels discriminated against because the white kids ignore her. Are detentions handed out?

8. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

How about we look at the issue at hand: discplining the students who were "exhibiting behavior that was interfering with instruction." Or in the case of the school in California, disciplining the ones who intentionally waved flags in the faces of hispanic students and threw the Mexican flag in a student's face.

Hell, if they're going to implement this ban on certain clothing, make it permanent, not temporary. They've already lifted the ban. So what's going to happen if the behavior resurfaces in a week or two? Are they just going to put yet another ban on clothing and then lift it when the students have calmed down? That's not going to solve anything. You get to the root of the problem, in this case, particular students, and you nip it in the butt that way.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Those particular situations are pretty easy to deal with. I agree those students should be punished. The situation is much more than that though.

It does solve something. It stops the students from using the American symbol to support hatred. You use it as temporarily as it is necessary. If it becomes necessary again, so be it.

Particular students aren't the root of the problem, xenophobia/racism is. It's just being acted out through particular students.

10. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

If the law made it mandatory to display the American flag, I would agree. The law, as stated in the article, only protects a person's right to display the flag on their property. I guess the courts can decide, but with Roberts and Alito on the Supreme court now, I'd be willing to take my chances, if it goes that far. I don't think the state is trying to ban Mexican flags in this case, just using the fact that the American flag is protected by law to end this.