More suspensions for wearing patriotic clothing.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerFan23, Apr 7, 2006.

1. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

So every two weeks there's going to be a ban on certain clothing. That is no efficient way to solve a problem.

If that's the case, then the school needs to take measures to raise awareness about xenophobia/racism. Have guest speakers, cultural awareness days, whatever works. At the same time, you don't overlook the behavior of the students. They still need to be held accountable for their actions. These kids are only in middle school, so it could leave an impression.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

good point. I will agree with you.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

How often do events like this happen? Very, very rarely. I mean this is a major national issue that the kids have taken up and are marching, protesting etc. I guarantee this is not a every other week type of situation.

That would be a great alternative, but it probably won't have immediate effects. I think those would be good to go along with the ban.

I agree.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

So if I agree that the ban was illegal (and support the law) - does that mean I have to now disagree with the ban?

I'm not sure. I'm thinking about it...

5. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I understand that its a major national issue. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't think that using the dress code ban as temporarily as need be is a good plan. It causes way too much confusion. If you're going to put a ban on clothing, you need to make it permanent. Otherwise, you need to explore other options other than banning clothing.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yea, it does cause some confusion & it's not a great option. I just think that the administration had to take action because they had waited too late and things had really escalated. They needed something to de-escalate the situation quickly.

I still don't see the need for it to be permanent with as temporary and non-reoccurring the issue is.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Alright. I don't think the school should have explicitly banned the flag/patriotic symbols as it sends the wrong signal.

I'm still thinking about how the administration should have dealt with the situation other than just punishing the offenders because it was a much deeper rooted problem.

8. col reb

col reb Founding Member

CParso- there has been 57 posts on here. You made 26. You wouldn't be opinionated would you? Your avatar shows you having one. If you had one for every post you have made on this topic, you are now chitfaced, my friend. DO NOT DRIVE!!!! IF YOU ARE HUNGRY, ORDER DELIVERY. My grandson left yesterday and should have arrived in Germany this morning. Final stop, Iraq. Infantry. Handles those huge machine guns. Why? So people like us can have the freedom to BITCH. If these people are legally here, great, if not, as far as I'm concerned they are "illegitimate." No one is protesting legal immigrants are they? My grandson left for Iraq, not Mexico. I have eight more grandchildren. You can bet your ass they will wear USMC shirts to support their cousin and brother. If their principal and board of supervisors have an objection, I promise a campaign here that will include every vet and supporter I can find. Number one objective, replace those in the positions that support this. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm very opinionated - you noticed that too, huh?

The purpose of this was never to make the kids not show their patriotism or to make them think it wasn't okay to support our troops. That was a very unfortunate, short-term side effect.

Your grandkids can support their cousin & brother all they want. They just wouldn't be allowed to wear a t-shirt to make a statement about it at school without getting punished. Would you be so angry if it was just a uniform dress code? After all, they wouldn't be able to wear their t-shirts then either.

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

They are not going to be wearing tee's saying something like, " I hate Mexicans." Or "Smelly pepper Belly." It will simply say, "USMC". If they are legitimate, they are just as much American as you and I. If not....GET'R DONE. USMC----UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS---If that offends them, go back and pray to their General who like to got his ass whipped at the Alamo. If all the kids wear uniforms, fine. I would not advocate going against the school policy. If not, and some wear Malcom X shirts, MLK, etc, etc, etc....don't think I'll not stand for USMC. I'm just tired of being politically correct. I really don't want to offend anyone, but I'm tired of some people farting in public and expecting ME to like it. Sorry....bad night....still working six days a week and I guess I probably have my grandson on my mind. Just doesn't sit well with me.