Morris to Baylor (Jump in UT Fans)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I just heard on the Ticket here in Dallas, Guy Morris Kentucky's coach is in Waco considering the Baylor Job ???

Am I on Crack or is going from an up and coming UK team to get blasted year in and year out by UT, OU, and A&M seem like a silly move... ???

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No worse than getting bashed in the SEC by Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc. It's probably a good move for Morris, more money for sure. Kentucky is a basketball school and football will always be second fiddle.

3. TexasTigers

Ticket just announced it is official... He is going to Baylor. Wow SEC loses two coaches to Big 12 south..

I hate to say but in about 2 years the Big 12 south is going to be very very nasty. UT, OU, A&M will be powerhouses, TT can beat anyone on any day, and maybe Baylor can cause some news.

4. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I would stay at Kentucky if I was him...

at Baylor he gotta compete with...UT, A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas St, Nebraska, LSU, TCU, for Texas Recruits.....he is in a better situation at Kentucky...and when they come off probation they will be a dangerous team, capable of knocking off just about anyone on a given saturday......but then again at Baylor he don't have to worry about him getting an gatorade bath before the game is over, and sportscenter showing it over and over again...

5. Longhorn24

Longhorn24 Freshman

Baylor is a private school and will not have the money to compete with the big boys the way things are set up right now.

I think Kentucky would have been the better place to stay. Yeah, he may have been losing to UT, Florida and the others but he was getting really competetive. It was a fluke play that beat them against LSU this year. So he had built something really nice and was starting to really get going.

I don't see where it was a smart move. JMHO

6. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Interesting to say the least! The recruiting thing dont worry me! What ties does he have here! Texas will always get theirs recruites no matter how stiff the competition! Baylor must of been waiving some heavy duty cash though! NTH

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It had to be the probation. That was the main thing with Franchione, too. Scholarship reductions and possible death penalty scenarios can kill a coaches opportunity to succeed. Better for his career to move on now while he is winning. The scholarship losses would have hurt him more every year. Let another booster pay a player and get the death penalty while a coach would make him un-hireable.

The two SEC schools on probation BOTH have had their coaches move on. Top coaches will avoid schools on probation because it hinders their career.

Recruiting is tough all over. All of the top football leagues have monster teams to deal with. But NCAA sanctions are program killers.

8. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

Here is my take on the situation. Am I unhappy if Morriss leaves? No. He is only making $350 thousand to coach at UK (lowest paid coach in the SEC). Baylor is offering him $1.1 million to coach in Waco. No ties in Texas is completely false. He played at TCU. He was a high school coach in Texas for years and has ties with coaches...recruiting will not be an issue. He is a winner...he was starting something here at UK, I hope he re-considers, but if it comes to money, I wish him the best. Don't get too cocky Horn Fans, because Morriss, like Leach will put a DENT in one of your seasons if he is coaching at Baylor!

Don't worry about UK. There is an AD here that LSU passed on. His name is Mitch Barnhart. While the good 'old boy network placed Skip as the AD at LSU, UK snagged an up-in-coming AD. Mitch will bring in a coach. Names floating around are Sherm Lewis (Packers Asst. Coach). If we lose Guy...we will have a great coach...we will be off the Bowl ban and recruiting will be full go next year!

9. TexasTigers

Dont worry WildCatMike. Us Tiger Fans are not slighting your Cats. We got lucky to win the last two years and we are happier then ever we get a break from Kentucky.

No question with some of the recruits UK is getting they will be a great team.

10. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Parcells?

Heard that Bill Parcells was turned down at Bama. Man, KY would be pretty tough if they could land him.