Morris to Baylor (Jump in UT Fans)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Dec 9, 2002.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Wildcat Mike

Mitch who? I'm sure he's very up and coming, whoever the hell he is. Skip Bertman has been an outstanding AD, by the way, good old boys, be damned. And we've hired an "up-and-coming" (and highly paid) assistant AD to take over when Skip retires.

Your analysis of the Morris situation seems very logical. Maybe he deserved a raise from UK for doing what most think was an excellent job this year. Surprising that a private school can afford to triple his salary.

2. Longhorn24

Longhorn24 Freshman

Red55 has a good point. I don't know how Baylor can afford the $1.1 million being quoted.

They have some pretty good alumni but they are going to have to hump it to rate that money for the football coach.

Dave Bliss is doing well with their BB program but you don't normally have to pay that much for a BB coach and you don't need that many athletes for the BB program either.

3. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

Red and Horn

Red, Mitch is the AD that your chancellor wanted to hire when Joe Dean retired. The hire got nixed by Gus of Phil's Oyster Bar and the DA of BR. They did not want an insider coming in and running the show. All their clout got Skip in the position he is in. From what I am hearing from your faithful friends, they wish they had Mitch as your AD instead of Skip (remember the Sugar Bowl Ticket fiasco last year?) Mitch used to be at Oregon State, he was on the short lists with a lot of athletic programs....LSU was one of them at one time. UK fans thank the powers that be for GIVING US Mitch (some of your LOYAL FANS tell me all the time!)

Horn, Yes, it is true. Baylor is ready to cough up cash for any coach to come in and do the job. Reports up here in Lexington, the salary is between $1.1-$1.3 million. Private or not, a lot of alumn and powerful people in Texas sure can raisethe cash.

I would not blame Guy one bit if he left. Money is the factor, Texas is his home state (went to HS, College, and coached). Has an excellent relationship with HS coaches over the years. Plus half of his assistants are former players and coaches from the state of Texas (Goodner, DC former of TTech).

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

We are very happy with Skip. People were upset because Skip is basically doing what all big time schools do (Become an Athletic Foundation Member get benefits) The people who got upset had a case of "Old School" syndrome...

Skip is making our program better, we are just going through some growing pains with his new plans, but in the end we have accepted them, and we are doing better.

5. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

TexasTiger,

No denying that. I thought that Skip was the right man for the time. Heck, he certainly deserved the position for what he did with the baseball program. Skip is doing a good job, but from loyal LSU fans, they are uncertain of his descions on key issues. I know the tailgaiting, TAF membership for tickets, and other suggestions have not gone over real well with Tiger Fans.

I guess my point of the thread is that I am certainly happy that Mitch landed in our lap instaed of LSU. He was the man on your list but the powers to be did not like the descion...so LSU's gift to UK.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Yes it is. Baylor is the Vanderbilt of the Big 12. At least Kentucky tries to win a little in football. I give credit to Baylor for trying though. Vanderbilt has already said, "SCREW IT! WE'RE NERDS!! WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WIN IN FOOTBALL!"

Don't know where they are getting the millions to pay him, but the Baylor Bear family has decided they are sick and tired of losing and they are now willing to pay up and do what it takes to win. Morris will be a great coach there. I look for him to make the Bears competitive and maybe peel off some Texas blue-chippers from the Horns and Aggies. As for Kentucky's probation, I don't think it's near as bad as Alabama's, I think they will be able to bowl next year and the scholarship reductions aren't as severe. I too think he may just want to be closer to home as well.

7. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Baylor is a private school, but has an enormous bank account. It's not quite what UT has, but it is not too bad. They have many rich alumni and boosters, and the tuition is in the neighborhood of $20k a year. That's more than double the average state school in Texas. Furthermore, they do get funding from the Southern Baptist Association.