Most Overrated coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Re: Most Overrated coach = Pete Carroll

I got bad news for you Hector. The rest of the world doesn't count the 2003 season as an NC. Just ESPN and USC fans.

I do agree with you that he's not overrated though. It takes a lot of luck to win an NC so these guys shouldn't be judged just on NC's and Petey takes the cake on everything else. I actually think the SEC has an advantage with the tough schedule they play all year when they actually get to the NCG.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Vanderbilt would post similar numbers playing in the puss 10.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Link didn't work for me, but I would expect someone that writes for a website named "Heisman Pundit" to be so oblivious to what the term "over-rated" means. The Heisman is the most over-rated award in sports.

At any rate, if Chewy Weis doesn't top that list, then the writer gets ZERO credibility.

Hector, you're wrong about 2003. The further away that year gets, the fewer people remember USC's claim. History books point to the BCS...yunno, where championships are actually played for. At any rate, I think the reason people are claiming that Pete should be on the list is that he fits the criteria of some of these other guys on there...one NC and a whole lotta wins. They're not claiming that he's not a good coach, just no better than the top few.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

gotta disagree.
    he's been exposed, and the media are starting to call for his job.
    so since he ain't rated very high, he can't be over rated

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree. Two years ago, perhaps the most overrated of all time. Now, just an average coach with a little respect. The media has turned quick on the fat one.

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I am sorry I was not trying to start the SEC v PAC10 thing, i was just trying to point out that the term could be applied because he was expected to win 3 but only won 1. He is using the argument "what have you done lately" on some of those coaches, that can be applied to Carroll.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I agree that Stoops is very overrated, and he should be ashamed of how pathetic his BCS record is. One of my students is an enormous OU fan, and he was mouthing off about the greatness that is OU a couple of months ago.

I asked him, "When was your last BCS win?"

"Oh, we're in there almost EVERY year!"

"When was your last WIN?"

"2000..."

"Okay, a DECADE ago, then..."

"Um, yeah."

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I'm basing it off of what they're paying the man (not to mention is 100 yr contract extension).

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No . . . they don't. You can't be a national a champion if you didn't qualify to get into the national championship game. A poll is just a poll. USC won two of them that year . . . LSU won nine. The BCS crystal football lives in Baton Rouge, and the MacArthur trophy spent 2004 in Baton Rouge, nothing else matters.

You miss the point completely. They came in as five-star, blue-chip recruits and leave as high NFL draft choices at twice the rate of most other top teams, yet they have half of the national championships of Florida and LSU in this decade. USC should win it all every year with talent like that. But the Archishop is not Superman, is he?

And the NCAA is finally looking at just HOW all that talent keeps flowing to Hollywood's team. Even the LA Times is calling out USC.

USC stays silent about NCAA investigation - Los Angeles Times

10. Darth

Darth Dark Lord of the SEC

What would be wrong with that?:D