Most Overrated coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, Jun 1, 2009.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Re: Most Overrated coach = Pete Carroll

Yes, it does. :wink:

The NCAA isn't a court of law. They don't require proof. At this point a preponderance of testimony from Lake, Johnson, Guillory will be enough.

No they are not and where do you get the idea that the NCAA has not interviewed the accusers. They have and USC was prevented from attending some of those interviews. The article says that our legal team has been making the attempts to retrieve info and the writer takes Sample, Garrett, PC, and Floyd to task for not doing so. Would you expect a school President to get these guys on the phone and request an interview?

The relationship between USC and the people in charge of the investigation is very cantankerous at this point. It is not going to go away.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Never said the NCAA hasn't interviewed the accusers, reread the post. I'm saying USC is turning their heads by not interviewing the accusers and dragging their feet just like the NCAA

Yes and in fact they admitted they did call the lawyer for at least one of the accusers to set up a meeting, but USC never followed through. All the accusers have said they are more than willing to meet with USC officials and give their side, it's USC that really doesn't want to hear it. It's hard to deny once you've been told in front of lawyers for both sides and tape recorders are rolling. USC officials are slow playing it to perfection and the NCAA isn't pushing. The LA Times and ESPN are doing more thorough investigations than either USC or the NCAA.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

For future typing convenience I'm going to abbreviate lack of institutional control as LOIC from now on. My point was that the NCAA could conclude there was LOIC for your bball program based solely on the Floyd/Mayo allegations alone, and football didn't have to get dragged into this (unless the NCAA has stumbled onto something big they haven't leaked yet). If instead they're trying to use the years-old Reggie Bush allegations to bolster their case, it's a waste of time at this point.

Correct, and trust me, we are all well aware of this. We are also well aware that the NCAA has its favored programs and those that are on the hit list. Where USC falls I honestly don't know since there doesn't seem to be a lot of logic in how the NCAA distinguishes friend from foe, and often it boils down to personal beefs (e.g., Dale Brown).

5. lsudolemite

I didn't bring this up because Lester Earl showed a long time ago what his character and word are worth. Either he lied in '97 or he's lying today, so I'm not going to automatically believe that he's being honest now. However, given his sweetheart deal and the fact that the NCAA later restored one of his lost years of eligibility after the fact, I wouldn't put it past the NCAA investigators to pressure him into lying.

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Clearly USC should be forced to field only flag football and half-court make-em/take-em teams for the next decade. Anything less than this proves that USC, the NCAA and ESPN are really the same organization - run by Nick Saban and Charlie Weis. I think that about covers it. Did I leave anything out?

1 person likes this.
  7. lsudolemite

I'm pretty sure Lou Holtz is the puppetmaster, spittling with rage now that you've uncovered the scope of the conspiracy.

8. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Back on the original subject, I think the criteria for "overrated" is mistaken in the original article. To me, the proper criteria would be for a coach to get praise while his teams continually fail to really be competative for conference championships. So here are some examples for me:

Kirk Ferenz--Sorry Hawkeye, but just what has Iowa actually accomplished that gets him named to so many NFL wish lists?

Charlie Weis--Not just for the w-l record, but that he is an "offensive genius" whose offense has been terrible the last two years.

Mike Leach--Sure he's exciting and great for a goofy quote, but when he had the chance to finally get to the BIGXIICG this year, his team let OU score over 60. This ain't track, brother.

Rick Neuheisal--the gambling controversy aside, what big game has he taken a team to other than the Rose Bowl as a player?

Houston Nutt--Sure, he's beaten us the last two years and his beatdown of TxTech in the Cotton Bowl was fun, but does anyone believe that he can become a consistant, year-in and year-out, 9-game winner?

GEAUX TIGERS
    Thorny

1 person likes this.
  9. HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre Founding Member

Well, USC didn't just "claim" to have a share of the split title in 2003, they were awarded a share of the title by the AP ... and, obviously, LSU got the other half with the BCS vote.

That wasn't the first split title in CFB history, and it won't be the last, but I understand this is the wrong place to try to argue the point ... so, because I am the visitor, I will drop the discussion out of good manners.

1 person likes this.
  10. HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre Founding Member

Nope. That about covers it. :lol: