Moussaoui....Life or Death?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by G_MAN113, Apr 14, 2006.

?

Moussaoui...Life or Death?

1. Give this assclown the needle

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Lock him away for life

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Not true. I am opposed in most cases, but when no appropriate means for punishment exist then the death penalty is justifiable. This is largely not the case in America where we have prisons that prevent criminals from ever hurting anyone again.

Mossoui wants to be killed so he can be a martyr. Life in a 5x7 cell with never seeing sunlight again seems much more suitable.

On the other hand someone like Timothy Mcveigh was a great death penalty candidate.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You make a good point. If the guy is eager to be a hero to international muslim terrorists and go get his 72 virgins . . . then deny it to him. But I wouldn't lock him in the cell except at night. Let him shovel pig chit all day at some prison farm.

3. LSUsupaFan

Good idea. I like it. Also only feed him bacon.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I thought sure you towed the HRCAC party line on this.

5. LSUsupaFan

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

"Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people‘s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person."

6. LSUDeek

that is being intellectually dishonest as your pontifex maximus claimed in 1995.

[/SIZE]

7. LSUsupaFan

No that is you not knowing the difference between official church teaching and the personal opinions of the Pope.

8. LSUDeek

the infallibility of the pontifex maximus as well as the magisterium with which he consulted in order to provide this encyclical supersedes any previous teachings.

9. LSUsupaFan

No. No. No. You are wrong. The encyclical does not represent an infallable teaching, but an opinon of John Paul II. The Pope is only infallible on matters of faith and morals and not in his personal opions. The encyclical does not define a church position on the death penalty, which is required for a ruling to be considered ex cahtedra. Rather it expresses John Paul's view that the death penalty is not necessary in the modern era.

You do not understand infallability. Quit while you are ahead and before this thread gets anymore hijacked.

10. LSUDeek

Not exactly what New Advent says.

yes, i understand it, and yes, i can spell it as well. i'd say the death penalty issue is an issue of morals, wouldn't you think?

edit: i was wrong about encyclicals necessarily being ex cathedra pronouncements but you are wrong in that they are never infallible.