Moved: Baseball question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Contained Chaos, May 4, 2005.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

So i've been a baseball player/fan for most of my life. But one day last year at The Box, I discovered one thing that I had never before noticed. As our team was running back into the dugout from the field (middle-inning), another player (or assistant coach) would take a baseball and toss it to one of the players that was coming in when they were just a bit in front of the foul line. The player would then catch it with their glove mid-stride and continue in towards the dugout. It was something I had never seen before, and wondered if it was just an LSU thing. So I watched the visiting team and sure enough, they did the exact same thing. Now that I've noticed it, I think I've seen every team since then do it. I tried to notice a pattern, like the player to whom the ball was thrown batting first or something of that nature. But it was to no avail. Anyone know what this is all about?

2. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

It is thrown to the first baseman and he uses it for the next inning to warm up the infielders.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Usually, it's tossed to the first baseman and one to an outfielder. They use the ball to warm up with in between innings.

4. Contained Chaos

ok. but i don't really see why they don't just give it to them in the dugout. it almost seems like its a drill to keep players aware or something. know what i mean? is it just tradition or is there some other purpose?

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Just one of those quirky things they do in baseball. Many of the MLB teams do it that way as well.

6. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Tigerwins and Scotty are correct. It's the warmup ball for the next inning. There's a lot of movement in the dugout (in and out) when the players come in from off the field and instead of running around trying to find the 1B or outfileder they just toss it to them as they are coming in. This helps out a lot especially if they are next up to bat...

7. YnotUs

YnotUs Founding Member

It is for consistancy. If the player(s) responsible for having the ball is on base when the inning is over, someone else will usually meet him at his position with his glove. This way the ball is in the glove, the deliverer does not have to remember to get it first. Also, depending on the excitement of the half inning (at bat), alot goes on as players put away bats, go to the field. etc. Its just easier to get it out of the way and reduce the chance of wasting time for forgetting during the chaos.

8. Contained Chaos

huh. interesting. makes sense, though. thanks, ya'll!

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

plus a good first baseman scuffs it to the pitcher's preference without it being noticeable then tries to sneak it into play.