Movies these days

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Unfortunately the so called art films and new movies have been crap as well. You're right that used to be the plan.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Lance Henriksen is another with 2 of 3, and you can make a case that the Alien Queen killed Bishop in Aliens.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I disagree. There have been some great films made in the last several years. I would put Dallas Buyers Club up against any best picture winner of the last 30 years. 12 Years a Slave and Birdman were damned good too. I think Rob Reiner's LBJ has a lot of potential.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Michael Bein or however you spell it was killed by an Alien and Terminator even though you see neither.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Just as long as you understand that the Bourne movies have absolutely nothing in common with the stories Robert Ludlum wrote.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Was it really? I just pulled that out of nowhere

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

There are definitely some great films that manage to hit enough screens. I just saw Wild last weekend. Witherspoon initially optioned it for her production company but then sold it to Fox Searchlight. It's a really good movie and the acting was outstanding.

Pulp Fiction is probably my favorite indie, ever. Guys like David Lynch and Tarantino probably don't have a career with the big production studios.

KyleK likes this.
  8. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Guys like Lynch and Tarantino are hard to come by these days. Few make movies and fill in the details the way they do. Pulp Fiction is a prime example. What I loved about that movie is the communication between the actors was very genuine; realistic.
    I'm sick of Spiderman. Used to be my favorite comic book hero back when I was much younger but damn the movies have worn him OUT. I will say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the Avengers movies; love the interactions between Hulk and Thor LOL.
    Overall, I don't mind remakes. But sometimes they're not as good I think as the producers anticipate. That other "Bourne" movie someone mentioned, I didn't see it but I saw enough trailers and heard from enough friends to know I won't waste my time on it.
    Good thread by the way :)

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are good ones and dogs. This has always been the case. Same with the blockbuster hits.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Did you know the Gold Earring song Twilight Zone was influenced by The Bourne Identity book?

I always liked the opening line in that song

Somewhere in a lonely hotel room there's a guy that's realized eternal fate has turned its back on him... It's 2 am.