Movies

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by tirk, Jan 29, 2010.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

ive learned once you have really high expectations of a movie it can never be met. thats why its great i had never heard of it so it became a nice surprise. otherwise id likely feel as you do.

it can be the greatest movie ever yet once you hear its the best, it just cant be.

the first half of full metal jacket was absolutely awesome. the second half pretty much sucked. similar to LSU basketball.

sure a lot of the hurt locker wasnt as realistic due to demands of movie-making and stupid producers but i thought it was done well overall and renner's acting made it top notch.

over-analyzing movies will always lead to disappointment.

i'll give Inglourious Basterds an 8 as well as The Hurt Locker.

i think its time we close the book on peabody. hes been pretty much a constant no-show for some time. hes likely banging some teenager in beijing in between curls anyhow.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I agree with Tirk...

I was excited about finally seeing The Hangover on DVD and everyone said it was the funniest movie ever or acted like it. I laughed at the baby part and that was about it. I laughed at the chinese dude too. He always cracks me up like in Role Models and Knocked Up.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

My buddy watched it for the first time over the weekend and said the same thing. He actually said he didn't laugh once. He hyped it up too much in his head. I told him he needed to watch it with a six pack. That will change your perspective on that movie.

You guys have me intrigued by Hurt Locker. I had never heard of it before this thread but I can't wait to rent it now.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I feel the same way, It was funny the first time I watched it on DVD, try to give it a second watch this weekend, didnt make it through half of it.
    The fat guy is funny because of his weirdness.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Any Tyler Perry movie or play is worth watching. Watched "I can do bad all by myself" last night with the wife and we both thought it was good.

Madea is the bomb...

[​IMG]

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The Hurt Locker was damn good. I also enjoyed the animated movie "9". Really good on Blu Ray.

I rented Whiteout, Ninja, and Tell Tale, haven't watched them yet, anyone seen? I will pretty much watch anything on Blu Ray, but i must agree with MLU the hurt locker was the best movie of 09.

1 person likes this.
  7. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

Been watching a ton of movies recently (thanks torrents!), a few of my ratings to kill some time at work.

Hurt Locker: 7.5/10. Very intense but the plot lacked a little. Almost seemed like nothing major happened during the story.

Where The Wild Things Are: 9/10. I loved this movie. The girl I watched it with thought it was boring, maybe she didn't like the boy's imagination aspect. I was a little drunk and the ending was strange, but still my favorite movie of last year.

Avatar: 8/10. Visuals were amazing, actually had goosebumps in a few scenes. Story was pretty cheesy by the end.

Invictus: 7/10. I thought it was going to be more of a sports story. I liked the ending but the story kinda dragged on.

Sunshine: 8.5/10. No one has heard of this movie even though it has some semi- big actors. I thought it was very good, intense thriller type movie. Not for the youngins.

The Informant: 5/10. I was expecting a lot more of this. Didn't think it was very funny at all and the story was strange.

Extract: 7/10. Funny but the story was pretty meh. Definitely not as good as office space.

State of play: 6/10. Decent but nothing great. Pretty run of the mill conspiracy movie, figured out the "bad guy" too easy.

GI Joe: 4/10. Bad and over the top cheesy.

Brothers Bloom: 8/10. Movie that reminded me of a Life Aquatic type. I thought it was great with some pretty good twists

I should back to work. Movies not to watch: gi Joe, Bruno, Hellboy 2.

8. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

The only good part about Whiteout was Kate. It was a bit predictable in some places. It a bit of suspense in others. I saw it in the theater and would rate it probably a 5.5/10.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah and i think Kate pushed it to at least a 6.5, that opening scene when she is in her undies, and taking a shower. Yum.

The other 2 movies Ninja and Tell Tale were ok, Ninja is worth watching because its bloody and it reminded me of the old Sho Kasugi ninja movies from the early 80's.

10. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Pandorum 6.5/10 - Decent Monster/Space/Suspense/Thriller

The Invention of Lying 5/10 - I'm sure martin loved this one. Had some humorous parts. The concept is original.

Inglorious Bastards 9/10 - Excellent movie. Wife thought it was a little violent.

An American Carol - Good movie. 7.5/10

1 person likes this.