Mp3 Player - iPod discussion for Martin

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscpuke, Oct 23, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I guess the raping and pillaging of consumers by the RIAA-the average music CD costs about $.03-.05 per CD to burn, package, and superimpose album art, as well as producing and packaging the CD case itself-to the tune of 24.99-34.99 for a new album basically amounts to nothing...

You gonna tell me that almost 25 million off of one 24.99 CD that goes platinum, and of that, only $50,000 of which goes into production of the CD itself...That's a pretty darn big slice of the pie to pay execs, artists, production houses, etc...Nevermind airplay royalties, bar rooms who pay royalties for playing the music, etc...

That's a ridiculous amount of money...Now imagine what a group like Metallica has made off of all of their combined album sales, or the execs that work for the company that controls them has made over that time period with all their gross sales?

To think that Metallica and other groups would get p!ssed after having a record button on cassette players for YEARS when tapes were the ultimate form of musical reproduction & sales once they put a "record" button on CD Burners on PC's is ridiculous...

People could record mix tapes off the radio to their hearts content, but let a CD player and a PC and a fiber optic connection get involved, and now we've got to sue the public! You can't tell me that anymore people share music than used to record the "Top 8 At 8" back in the day on 102.5 to listen to it the next day in their car...I know...I grew up in the "CD" boom, and I used to have a tape player and started out my music collection with tapes...

Screw them...but, by all means...Don't turn me in to the RIAA...I've got enough bills already...

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

"Our Constitution allows for ways to accomplish change, and none of them advocate ignoring the rule of law. " - TE

3. TigerEducated

Please show me where I was trying to accomplish change? Didn't think you could...

But, do your best to try your hardest to show just what a HUGE hard-on you have for trying to pick fights with me...Your mancrush is something I can deal with...But, it's a bit unsettling...You DO know I'm heterosexual, right?

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

"The RULE OF LAW that it abides, governs, and exists by, is being ignored, and this is tantamount to anarchy, and that's no slippery slope, just a matter of degrees, or severity, if you will. Period." - TE

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lol i must admit I saw this coming a mile away. checkmate.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I used to use Shure E3Cs, but I switched to Etymotic ER-4s and the difference was AMAZING. I'm not dissing the Shure's, but the improvement from Shure to Etymotic was like from stock headphones to the Shures. Of course the Etymotic's were 220.00 shipped :dis: But, I'm a musician and music is one of my main hobbies and the cost of this hobby is EASILY justifiable for me. I didn't want to comment on this, but has everyone forgot about Minidisc? I can find NOTHING that persuades me to switch to a HD based player. The sound quality on my Sony and JVC units beat the bloody sh!t out of Ipods or ANY other portable audio device. With the addition of Sony's Hi-MD technology and the possiblity of now being able to play MP3s without having to convert to Atrac3, you can fit around 17 hours of music on one little disc. You NEVER have to worry about running out of memory because you can buy a gb disc for less than 6.00. Battery life is simply AMAZING! I've been listening to mine about an hour or so a day since December, and I still have a 75% full AA battery. The size of the units are amazing too. If anyone is considering buying an MP3, don't leave out Minidisc players! They really offer the best of everything... size, battery life, price, sound, ability to upgrade CHEAPLY, and most importantly, peace of mind knowing that you're using technology that has pretty much stood the test of time.

7. TigerEducated

What's the verdicts on the earphones? Are the stock ones that Apple will ship adequate for listening/working out? Do I need to make an upgrade?

8. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

mine have been very adequate so far. no complaints.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

JayB, I was/am a huge fan of minidisc players too. You're exactly right about sound quality and battery life. The thing that I didn't like was having to keep track of my discs and then picking the right one to take to the gym. I also didn't like how I left the player at said gym and never saw it again.

10. TigerEducated

This site is great...We have some good senses of humor around here...I was reading this reply just now, and I spewed carbonated Wal-Mart flavored water all over the screen...LOL!