MS gators

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Me and my brother got drew for gator tags this year for the first time and did ok for some novices. Way it works here is season is only 1 week long and you get 2 tags 1 is a "runt" tag and the gator has to be between 4 and 7 feet. The 2nd tag can be used on a gator over 7 ft. No baited lines or anything you have to snag them with rod and reel first, then noose them at the boat, then shoot with shotgun with #6 shot or smaller so have to hold gun right up against back of neck. Be a whole lot easier if we can set lines but that's for folks with private land tags only pubic water hunters have to do it the hard way but man it is fun. Had chances at a couple 11 footers even hooked one of them 4 times only to loose him under the same log jam every time but were lucky enough to tag out connecting on 2 6 ft "runts" and 2 pretty nice ones at 8.5ft each. Some of the most fun I've ever had and most tired I've ever been.
    6ft Runts....
    [​IMG]
    My 8.5 footer....
    [​IMG]
    Brothers 8.5 footer....
    [​IMG]

GregLSU, Bayou Tiger and tirk like this.
  2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Scraping them is a job. Been a long time but I remember. Went on a gator hunt in Grand Cheniermback when they were $50.00 a foot. You skin, scrape, fill with salt then roll em up?

tirk likes this.
  3. jvalhenson

Yea or you can haul em to buyer whole. But the prices are so low now and the closest buyers are several hours drive from me we wouldn't make any money with em so we just processed ourselves. Trying to cure and tan the hides as a DIY project will see how it goes.

4. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Oh I know how it will go. Haven't seen you NOT be successful at anything yet. Please remeber to post pics when you're done.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Got enough rules just to shoot a damn gator? Jesus christ. Maybe you can rub its belly and sing to it for 5 minutes prior.

dachsie and GregLSU like this.
  6. jvalhenson

That's about they want. My grandpas used to hunt em way back and he killed some giants. But back then they hunted em year round and could set lines. But he said the biggest males they killed were during breeding season and they'd call em in. See him out there, call to him, when he goes down get the gun ready bc he's prob about to pop up right next to the boat. Now it's an act of congress to kill one here but damn it's fun.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I'm going to have to put in for the lottery one year. I need some gator hides