Muffaletta-Central Grocery in NOLA

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Cajun Sensation, May 16, 2011.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Ok, so this place isn't exactly breaking news....I know. I think I'm probably the last person in the U.S. to have not had a muffaletta from Central Grocery. It's like one of those things (I get the same reaction from people when I tell them I've never had a muffaletta from Central Grocery as when I tell people that I've never seen Jerry McGuire).

So I ate one for the first time a couple of days ago. It was S-L-A-M-M-I-N!!!!

Everyone was right. It's even better than everyone has told me.

1 person likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

tom cruise ate there during the filming.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

thanks for the reminder, CS. everytime i'm downtown new orleans looking for something to eat, i always forget they have great muffulettas down there. for cold muffulettas, Franks (which is just a few doors down from Central Grocery) has a big rivalry with Central Grocery, with different people each having their own favorite (some say Franks are fresher). for warm muffulettas, Napolean House is most people's fav (it's just several blocks away). i haven't tried the muffulettas at any of them, but i want to try all three. i have been to Napolean House, and that place does have an awesome atmosphere. historical old building, and you can take a table inside, or outside in the beautiful patio/courtyard area out back

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

May as well order a ham and cheese.

1 person likes this.
  5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

This.

Greatest muffaletta eva.

Not another one touches that one, IMO.

6. tyf69

tyf69 Founding Member

Buy several and stack them in the fridge. The longer the olive oil has to seep into the bread makes it even better.