MUSCHAMP SPURNED! Offered position job, Bill Clay is DC ||||||||||

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by philter, Jan 3, 2005.

1. philter

philter Founding Member

As far as I can tell, they only started coaching together in 2001.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Well, at one point during the past 2 weeks, it's been said that the defense never really was Muschamps, and that it was Saban that ran it--Muschamp was just the title holder.

Was that point, made by many I might add, just to give reasons as to why Muschamp wouldn't be a good replacement as head coach, or where we serious?

I'm only saying this because if Muschamps title as DC was all "smoke and mirrors" and he really didn't have the skills that the fans thought he had, perhaps Miles knows that, and that's why he didn't, if the rumor is true, offer Muschamp the DC job???

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

maybe but if he goes to Miami, there will be your answer as to whether he was any good or not.

4. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Second coming of Lou Tepper?

Clay's resume is, in fact, fairly impressive. Some of it is dated, to be true. Most impressive were the defensive stats when he was DC at UAB. He has, to be sure, a ton of experience. I have no doubt he's an outstanding teacher of defensive football. But, the same could be said of Tepper. He wrote the book, literally, on linebacker play. However, he did NOT write the book on playing successful defense in the SEC. A/c to Clay's resume, he was DC at Miss St in the early 90s and it states they were "nationally ranked." Does anyone have any info on his time at State?

This sounds like a guy we'd want associated w/ the program, perhaps as a linebacker coach, in an admin capacity, but, NOT as DC.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I think most would agree that it was Saban's defense. Muschamp was learning Saban's system and has a very bright future. The question is, did he learn enough of it to where he can run it on his own now?

I don't know that answer...