Muslim = Derogatory ?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I've been noticing more now than lately the word Muslim thrown around as a Derogatory comment.

I find it interesting coming from those of a Christian faith. I guess you are both passing judgment and claiming that this is a bad religion because some of them kill in the name of their faith. Have you not read the history of the Christian faith?

I just find it odd that most religions claim to promote peace and love and neither of the above mention seem to be doing that.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I prefer rag head anyway.

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Ignorance is bliss?

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Dude. This is a red herring. Just like supposedly "Liberal" is a bad word. Muslims are Muslims. If folks take offense to being called what they are, then they have the issue, not the rest of us.

Most of the time, this kind of oversensitivity arises when the larger group that one self-identifies with comes under extreme scrutiny and is found to have linkages to unsavory people or maybe extremists.

If non-American (and maybe even American) Muslims would publicly and in large numbers reject some of the stuff that is being done in the name of their religion, then perhaps they wouldn't be sensitive when they are called what they are - Muslim.

As for the anti-religion theme of your post, I'll let the more religiously oriented among us handle that.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Here at TF, it is.:grin:

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Was thinking the same thing. It's a non issue in most walks of life.

7. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Me too, just Rex trying to bait people into a religous argument.

To answer the actual issue though, I would say, yes I am a Christian. No I don't think Muslim is derogatory. And if you are going to attack the Christian Religion's history I will say what I said months ago in a different thread.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

It is a religious argument. I'm just trying to find out where the sense in this action is...

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

FBI just raided a business in the same complex where I work. Place was bought last year and fronted as some aeronautical engineering firm. Turns out they are doing business with Iran, although I always see a lot of cars there and they have big iron gates at both entrances that wasnt their before.

thought it was fitting since this is the muslim thread.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

[​IMG]