Muslim Internet Community

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsugrad00, May 20, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

[​IMG]

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Absolutely.

When I went to LSU in the mid-70's, I used to play ultimate & freestyle frisbee on the Parade Grounds. Several of us even had T-shirts made that had "LSU Frisbee" on them. We used to play frisbee golf around the campus, with the first tee box being the northernmost indian mound of the two in the middle of campus. The first "hole" was the flagpole in the center of the Pentagon dorms. All the other holes were light poles or trees around the Greek Theatre, the "Magic Forest" and around Kirby Smith dorms. Because everything was unmarked, you had to memorize the course!!!
    We actually met the blues singer Taj Mahal playing disc golf one day with his sax player.

We had always thought that disc sports would become big someday.

Me and some friends actually sponsored a frisbee tourney on the Parade Grounds in '78...

Now it seems that in our popular culture disc play is as dated and pointless as hackysack errr.... footbag.

As a side note I never would have believed that skateboarding would have caught on the way that it has. Even doing tricks on those things in the mid-60's seemed dangerous, not real fun.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did you know a guy named Frank Cole? He was big into frisbee back then.

5. bayareatiger

WOW.

What a blast from the past!!!!!

His nickname was "Frisbee" Frank Cole. I wasn't really close to him as he used to play with a different group of guys than I did.

I played with the ruffians, our "leader" was a guy named Dave Headrick, and he played with a cleaner cut group of guys....

When I told him that I was moving to Cali in May of '79, I distinctly remember that his comment to me was "There's a lot of competition out there"...

I think he was specifically referring to disc but he could have been talking about anything, being that there are SO MANY MORE freakin' people out here...

Do you still know him?

Does he still play disc?

Thanks for a great memory recall....

Y'know, it's a small world but I wouldn't want to have to paint it...

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used to go fishing with him a lot in the mid 80's He was a marine biologist and was living in Grande Isle but he later moved to New Orleans. I ran into him about 4 years ago at the redfish rodeo. He was judging fish or something and I told him I would be back at the marina later and talk to him. When I passed back by he wasn't there and I didn't get his phone #.

When I used to fish with him he would run his mouth big time if he was catching more than me so it was important to make sure I caught more than him.

7. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Let me get this straight there were Frisbee gangs roaming LSU when you went there???

8. bayareatiger

I am using the word gangs here somewhat humorously...

We really weren't the same as those guys...they were cleaner cut dudes for the most part and we were long-haired punks...

We were somewhat friendly to the other groups of disc players, would occasionally share blunts, but we didn't play on the Parade Grounds as much...that was their neck of the woods...not ours...

The Parade grounds was where the "flashier" freestyle players were...and we didn't believe in playing there just to show off, because of the # of people around the Union...

We mostly played where the Natatorium now stands, as most of us lived in the apartments just north of campus there on Aster...

There was a HUGE grass field there that wasn't as nearly as beat up as the Parade Grounds turf was...and we felt like we were just playing, not just "grandstanding" to the folks by the Union...

Those were some fun and interesting times...

9. bayareatiger

See my above post. That was about the only thing that I didn't care for in Frank. He could be a bit of a show-off, and I was one of those guys that just wanted to play. I didn't care about form and style, and he could be a bit arrogant about things like that in that he could come off as too cool sometimes.

He's not a bad guy at all, but it sounds as though he hasn't changed... :grin:

I'm happy to hear that you at least have some comeuppance with him.

PS I can picture that guy becoming a marine biologist...he was a pretty smart dude...