Must-read article in Sports Illustrated written by LSU Tiger John Ed Bradley

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

It will be worth your while to pick up this weeks issue of SI (the college football preview issue). There is a lengthy article writtel by John Ed Bradley, who was an OL in the 1970's. It is not on-line, so you will have to get the real mag. It is a very touching article about titled "The Best Years of MY Life". It is about how his LSU playing days were the best of his life and how he had trouble coping after college was over and the limelight faded. It would be a good article no matter where the author played, but being an LSU Tiger makes it that much closer to home. It is a wonderful read and I encourage everyone to check it out.

2. Ellis Hugh

Someone told me it hits the newsstands today, so try again.

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

I was very disappointed with John Ed Bradley. He purposely turned his back on the Tigers, in his own words, ignoring or resisting every opportunity to stay connected to LSU, for many years.

But I did find his meeting with Coach Mac very touching. He met Mac 3 days before Mac passed on, and Mac strikingly mentioned the bogus face-mask call in the 4Q of the '79 USC game that caused LSU to lose to the # 1 Trojans (Bradley was a member of that team).

4. Ellis Hugh

I don't take it personally. He wasn't turning his back on LSU, just his own personal former life. He would have had the same reaction if he went to any major school, because that was how his college fame affected him. It didn't have anything to do with LSU.