My 2 cents about Smoke

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

how is smoke supposed to teach them how to run? lol wouldnt he have to run also?

2. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

tigers lead nation

in getting runners picked off base (15 times). In my opinion this is way too many times to be the runners fault. I place the blame on Bertmans old buddy SMOKE.
    Also, I believe the tigers are in the top 5 teams to hit into double plays. again this is smokes fault for always dicking with the lineup, not knowing when to bunt and not to bunt and not putting the harris brothers on a diet.
    The tigers also seem to be very impatient at the plate. I can not explain that. (I believe the tigers would be better off with southerns coach. He gets the most out of his Kids).

3. tirk

sigh.

team bats .330 and is impatient. smoke sucks.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

We won didn't we? :confused: I mean you want us to lose? right? that's the other option. Runner's? Wait..... did we win? I take it you wanted a lose? or you would like to see smoke quit? That's it smoke should just quit! he just can't get it right! I know after he quits, Let's stone him! :shock: yeah like in the old testament. Everybody get a rock....... I mean he is such a loser, such a pathetic loser....... wait we won? did we win? Are we a winning ball team? :confused: :shock: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

this is just all TOO confusing :confused: let's do what Nebraska football did and screw ourselves. :dis:

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Ok, the 15 runners picked off base, I give you that one. A legitimate issue there. That is coaching in my opinion for them to either:

A) not be motivated and therefore not focused
    B) not know how to read a pitcher's movements

Baserunning is part of the game and as such is a skill that can be picked up by players with good coaching.

Anybody with baseball knowledge would say that a team that gets picked off with such frequency is lacking in fundamentals. That's not even debatable.

Now turning to the double play balls issue. That's ignorant for you to say that's Smoke's fault. I don't know a single coach that doesn't want their batters to try and hit the ball hard on every at bat. And guess what happens when you hit the ball hard right at someone when there is a man at first base? It usually turns into a double play. Again, ignorant.

6. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

statistically speaking we are in the middle of the pack as far as DPs are concerned...someone posted some actual stats on another board but it's legit

7. tirk

i think we are top in the conference. have to be top 3 on dps.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I thought it was crazy to fire Frank Solich after he went 9-3 but is Nebraska screwed? Maybe not. After a couple of hundred years of being an option oriented offense Bill Callahan is installing the West Coast O at Nebraska. They may or may not be worth a damn next year but with a passing offense now the Cornhuskers will be able to recruit quarterbacks and wide receivers who before now would have never consider going to Nebraska. In the past even great Nebraska teams could be beaten if a good team got a couple of TDs ahead because the option offense is not a good come from behind offense. In order to compete with OU, Texas, K State and the rest of the Big 12 Nebraska probably made the right move.

9. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

LSU and double plays
    Posted by MDGeaux on 5/22 at 9:18 a.m. (122 Views)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, since there’s been a whole lotta bitching about double plays, I’m running some numbers. First off, I’m using SEC data only, and then I’m looking at how many times LSU’s had a runner on first base by adding together hits, walks, and HBP’s, and then subtracting out XBH. It works out to 347 runners on first. I’m assuming a normal distribution of runners on, which is close enough for government work. This means I divide out one-third of these runners on first because there were two outs and no DP opportunity existed.

That gives me 232 double play opportunities. For fun, I ran the opponent numbers as well. It works out to 199.

Now LSU’s grounded into 34 double plays in those 232 opportunities, which works out to a 14.7% clip. Our opponents grounded into 24 in 199 chances, a 12.1% rate. Which means if we’ve got a runner on first with less than two outs, we’re slightly more likely than our opponents to hit into a double play, but not by a huge margin. If we hit into DP’s at our opponent’s rate, LSU would’ve hit into 28 double plays, a grand total of six base runners over the course of the SEC schedule. That’s about .2 extra outs per game. Big whoop.

Now, some people have advocated stealing more bases. LSU runs at a 17-22 rate (opponents at 21-28). Expressed the same way, that’s a 22.7% failure rate. Our opponents are at an 25% failure rate. So, in order to stop giving up outs at a 14.7% rate, people are suggesting a strategy which gives up outs at AN EVEN HIGHER RATE. That is stupid.

I’m not going to bother with a run expectation chart, but let’s leave at this, bunting runners over slightly increases your odds of scoring one run and greatly decreases your odds of scoring more than one. College baseball is exceptionally high scoring due to the bats, so bunting runners over will cost you runs. LSU has 16 SH’s on the season to our opponent’s 20. That’s one every other game, which is probably too high. LSU’s only played in 12 one-run games, the only time a play-for-one-run strategy makes sense.

10. tirk

LSU hit into 71 DPs before tonight.