My 2 cents about Smoke

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Awesome post!!! :thumb: :thumb:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is the only part I do not totally agree with. You cannot dismiss this as totally stupid logic. You are not taking into account that you are at 2nd base if you successfully steal. And of course your odds of scoring that run from 2nd vs. 1st base is substantially higher. So there is much to gain in stealing the base, and it keeps you out of the double play possibility. And 77.3 % steal success rate is actually excellent. Although there just aren't enough steal attempts to make the numbers mean as much. But let's say this team was really fast overall and we had, say, 170 out of 220 steals instead (about 3 steals per game). Then I would advocate stealing in those situations.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

To steal a lot of bases you need great base stealers. Preferably a leadoff hitter who has a great on base percentage. Ricky Henderson comes to mind. LSU has some decent base stealers but no great ones.

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Didn't the same guy get thrown out at the plate twice in the same game? Wouldn't that count as sucky base running?

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep and if u ever had 2 tickets you cant drive. what kind of analogy is that? lord. it was awful luck and he was safe the other slide if you saw it. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

Bottom Line when it comes to smoke.

I have no disrespect for Smoke.

He knows a hell of alot more about baseball than I do.

And Skip hand picked him, which gives him much credability in my eyes.

But.

I am spoiled.

I grew up watching my LSU baseball team dominate.

They no longer dominate.

But I'll give it to them, They are a good ball club.

They will continue to be a good ball club. They have won alot of games. They are good.

But thats it. With Smoke, we will always be a 'good' team. But I dont see us ever becoming the dominant team we once were. Especially with the ever improving talent level of the rest of the SEC.

I guesstimate we will make it to the CWS 2 out of 5 years and advance further 1/5 years, which is very good. But Not dominant.

Who out there can do better than Smoke? I wanted Bianco... But in reality I cant see us ever duplicating the success we had with Skip.

So I will just sit back and enjoy the game of baseball. We will win alot of games. It will be fun to root for our tigers. We will not dominate like we used to. But it will be fun to watch our team win more than they will lose against good competiiton.

They will be fine. We will cheer them on. Life is too short to criticize Smoke, who has us hosting our 14th regional in 15 years. Look at the big picture people. Skip is no longer coach. Our time at the TOP is over. Just sit back and enjoy being NEAR the top.

And look forward to football !!

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We've hosted the last 15 regionals.

And I think we will return to the top and soon. I feel good about our chances this year in fact.

8. tirk

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In just his 3rd year as head coach Smoke is already way ahead or the records of Gene Bartow, Phil Bengsten and Kurt Rambis. Who are those guys? They are the coaches who took the job of following coaching legends John Wooden, Vince Lombardi and Pat Riley.

Is it possible to be successful following a legend? Joe B. Hall won the NC during his tenure at Kentucky following Adolf Rupp. Jimmy Johnson won two Superbowls following Tom Landry.

10. tirk

good post BB. its an almost insurmountable (is that a word) task but its possible regardless the detractors (is that a word too?).