My Advice To Our Offensive Coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Oct 21, 2007.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Some things our offensive coaches need to step back and take a look at during off week.

Flynn needs to be allowed to roll out more in passing situations. With his injury teams have gotten used to him being in the pocket and are teeing off. He is much more effective with a run/pass option.

And for that matter Perilloux would benefit too.

Perilloux if they are going to play him should be given a series instead of trading in and out. This is leading to used timeouts and poor clock management and no consistency .

When perilloux is in let him throw the ball some just to keep the other teams honest. With us not throwing with him teams are stacking the line.

Keiland Williams and Charles scott need to be our tailbacks with hester at fullback.

We need to incorporate 4 to 5 more long passes in our gameplan. I like to throw a few deep balls on first down early in the game. It keeps the db's from jumping the short routes.

Scrap the hester up the middle on first down every time for awhile. Too predictable.

Help lafell regain his confidence with some easy catches and let him run after catch. Do a few reverses and build his confidence.

Use Holiday in pass routes. It seems every time he comes in and gets the ball it is a reverse.

Break tendancies you have created by the playcalling.

And one more thing. During this offweek go over each formation and make sure our players know who is on the line of scrimmage and who isnt.

2. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Good observations and some good ideas. Hope they work on the predictability factor.

That first LONG pass to Doucet on first down showed that the Auburn D weren't expecting a pass AT ALL on first down.

:eek:ldskule:

3. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

The only time RP needs to be in the game is when we're inside the 30. He is GOING to be great but not right now. I would rather win a NC this year than get RP some growing pains. He'll be fine NEXT year.

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Calco, lot of good ideas there. Keiland is the game breaker.

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

The arrival of a true verticle passing game will open things up tremendously for our offense.

Let's just hope we can keep it up.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Just my observation, but I don't think Flynn is hobbled any longer. He ran rampant out of the pocket last night against one of the better and faster defenses that LSU will face all season.

Doucet's presence will impact Flynn's performance much more than getting him out in to space. I'd be backing the coaches in this decision, at least based upon the results thus far ....:wink:

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Flynn's ankle injury prevented him rolling out and running the last few games. Last night was the first time since his injury that he was able to make plays with his legs. With two weeks off, he should be completely healed and we'll see more of it.

Last night was the first time I thought putting RP in the game hurt us. I thought Flynn had a nice rhythm and looked confident and we sputtered everytime RP came in. I cringed everytime they put RP in the 2nd half.

They did once. He made a bad decision and was lucky it wasn't picked. He got hammered on that play, too.

No way, no how. If Hester hasn't proven his worth at TB to you yet, he never will. I like our rotation at RB.

By my count, we ran 19 times on 1st down and passed 14 times. 2 or 3 of those runs were Flynn scrambles off a pass play. I thought we had good balance on 1st down.

I think LaFell will see the bench for most of the Bama game. I don't recall seeing him in the game after his drop/INT. Bama is not the game to build his confidence. Save that for LaTech and maybe Ole Miss.

And yet it still works almost everytime he gets the ball.:hihi:

One of the problems playing so many different players, especially young WRs and RBs, is not knowing who should be in the game and what do to at at all times. It's frustrating at times to watch a chinese fire drill on offense. Sometimes I wonder if we try to do too much on offense, resulting in confusion and time management problems.

Despite our problems, we're on track for Atlanta and New Orleans. We will only get better. Our passing game looked good for the first time last night, minus the LaFell play.

8. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Tiger wins i didnt say take hester off the field.

You can run him from fullback too!!!!

And with scott and williams you give them more to think about.

I like having a defense having to think about hester and tailback.

Now all they have to worry about is our tailback.

And hester is one hell of a blocker too.

Flynn having a bad ankle did not prevent him from bootlegging. It actually would have saved some hits on him.

And Perriloux can throw the ball too and just cause he makes 1 bad throw doesnt mean you give up on him. Flynn has interceptions too it is part of the game. But you need it to keep other teams honest.

And as far as Holiday i just want to see him running upfield when he gets the ball rather than having to start out sideways all the time.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We'll be sure to forward this over to them. :grin:

Fans see the big play potential of these 2 and completely overlook the small stuff. Keiland is getting less snaps than ever for a reason - he isn't seeing the holes. Until he gets that fixed he won't see more. Scott & Murphy have looked very good, but none of them are as consistent or as tough as Hester.

Now that we have Doucet back we'll see it more often. We worked Early into the game plan slowly but it was obvious what a difference it makes to this team to have him at WR.

Yea, everybody can see this. I'm not sure what the thought here is. The only thing I can figure is that we're still probably averaging over 3 yards on that play and it wears down the defense.

Let him work out his confidence in practice. The coaches did the right thing by benching him after that horrible interception he gave Auburn.

Isn't he averaging like 9 yards a play? I don't care how predictable the play is if we can still average that many yards.

This seems due to having young WRs.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Just a little inside information for you guys!:cool:
    All of this has already been put in the play book after last nights game.:hihi:
    We had to save a few wrinkles for the Bama and Arkansas game.
    We can geaux completely vanilla for the La Tech and Ole Miss games!:wink: