My Email to Pete Fiutak at CFN

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by attigeratlaw, Jan 19, 2004.

1. attigeratlaw

attigeratlaw Founding Member

CFN ran an opinion article on next year's top five. There was a blurb on strength of schedule which had a few glaring errors regarding LSU' s 04 schedule.

Here's my email to Fiutak

"Pete-

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the article but
    there were certain factual errors regarding LSU's
    upcoming schedule that I feel inexplicably compelled
    to point out.

First- LSU does NOT play Virginia Tech next year.
    Yes, LSU was originally scheduled to play Tech through
    a home and away deal. LSU went up to Blacksburg at
    the start of the 2002 season, took an honest beating
    and came home hoping to get payback in 04'. However,
    last year, Virginia Tech decided not to play LSU for
    whatever reason and backed out of the deal. Dropping
    LSU from the 04' schedule is what is allowing Tech to
    play USC. At this point, LSU is now looking for a
    replacement opponent and the word on the street is
    Oregon State, but nothing is official yet.

Second- on your statement about the LSU v. UF game
    being "the traditional neutral site showdown", I
    assume that you're confusing the LSU v. UF game with
    the UGA v. UF game on this one. LSU and UF do NOT
    play on neutral ground, this game is always at either
    Baton Rouge or Gainsville. UGA and UF always play at
    Jacksonville - lovingly referred to as the world's
    largest outdoor cocktail party.

Barring these two goofs, I enjoyed the rest or the
    article, at least the parts that I read.

p.s.- Why no Heisman love for Justin Vincent?
    Consider this- he played only half the season and
    rushed for over 1000 yards. He was named MVP of both
    the SEC and National Championship games. You list
    some good players there, but give the guy a few
    thoughts.

p.s.s.- Thanks for taking time to read this
    nit-picking dribble."

Here's the response-

"Yeah I dorked it ... that's what happens when you do a final edit at 3
    a.m.

Thanks! The changes are being made now.

Pete
    CFN"

Here's the article link

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Ask_CFN/Ask_CFN.htm

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Good Job

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Nice. I like it when you give some love, and a good critique. He responded very well, and looks to be appreciative of the corrections. I like CFN, and this is a prime example of a good writer taking his lumps for missing the boat.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Can't argue with his predictions. On the Heisman, I agree that JV should get a mention but I am biased. I respect the guy for admitting he was wrong AND correcting the errors.

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Fiu's a good shit. He was in LSU's corner all year till the OU game.
    Then, Stoops woofed him and he ended up picking Zero-U and being Clucko's punk. His LSU predictions were very good on the year other than that.

6. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

I sent one like that to Southern Sports Tonight's Scott McKinney when he stated that LSU was losing "5 or 6" off its defense.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 7:54 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: LSU Defense Losses

Dear Scott (think it was Scott)

FYI, caller asked how many losses LSU would have this year on defense due to JrPro/graduation and you answered 5 or 6. Actually, the answer is 3 starters, Lavalais tackle, Hunt safety and Alexander LB. Returning are Spears and Hill at DE, Turner and Vaugn at LB, Daniels and Webster at CB, and Landry at S. Kyle Williams is a terror and ready to take Lavalais's spot if Wroten does not win out. Both will play. Hunt and Alexander will both be replaced by one of several contenders with superior athletic ability and considerable experience. The leadership of Lavalais and Hunt will be missed and must be replaced. Just lost 3 from a Dominant National Championship Defense.

Sorry Georgia, it is just gonna keep getting worse for David Green against LSU.

Offense loses Mauck and Clayton to pro draft, Henderson, Edwards, Peterman and Reed to graduation. Return 5 starters on offense, Whitworth T, Livings G/T, Wilkerson C, Vincent TB, and Green WR if you consider from a one back set. All the fullbacks, including Jones split at FB and tight end are back but offense depends on what set is considered of course.

Marcus Randle, who started when Mauck was hurt, (Bluegrass Miracle Passer) will enter spring as #1 QB but will be pressed hard by Matt Flynn and Jamarcus Russel. OverLoaded at WR. OverLoaded at RB. Replacements for Guard/Tackle are deep and as good as the departed or better and have considerable playing time experience.

Marquis Hill says folks are going to start respecting LSU, or they are going to hit them in the Mouth, hehe.

Love your show guys, listen every night.

and here is the response I got

Thanks Ronnie. My apologies. I was looking at incorrect information. I will correct it on the air, too.

Have a good weekend.

Scott

The decent ones, who are really interested in getting things right, generally appreciate it if you give them correct information as well as pointing out their error, and give em a little love pat along the way, haha

7. sos

sos Founding Member

Give him an attaboy for listing to the sweet music of logic. Alas, it is hopeless for Nick Pittman, Trev Alberts, etc. They should go the way of the Samari, or in their case, at least fall on their pen! (make that Vibrating device for Alberts)

8. attigeratlaw

attigeratlaw Founding Member

It's all in the delivery. You have to consider the amount of information these guys have to weed through and assimilate. It's amazing how much they have to try to analyze and keep straight. Plus, (cliche alert) they're journalists, not fans, so there's no reason to expect that they would have memorized all of the obscure and finite details about off-season LSU (or any other team) - the schedule, returning players, projected depth chart, etc. that we all consider common knowledge. When you look at it that way, a few fact mistakes here and there are expected. That said, a watchful eye and courteous email helps keep the record straight. It's like getting extra points in a seventh grade math class for catching a teacher's mistake. Can you say bonus points and a star?

9. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I've caught the guys at CFN in goofs several times and when I've brought it to their attention, they've always seemed appreciative.. The dorks at ESPN are different.

LSU, 2003, THE BEST IN THE NATION AND THE SEC!!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux: