My ex

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Feb 11, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If you did drugs you wouldn't care about all this :)

The Catholic Church has some very strange rules. I had to take classes before I got married. And I'll never forget the 400 pound father telling me it was a sin to bust nut anywhere but inside my wife, while my wife is sitting there. I was kind of shocked.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

To get 900k, she must have been seriously injured, right? And I'm no lawyer, but if you were still married when it happened and you spent time and money helping her heal, then you should be entitled to a chunk of that cash.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That number is only rumor so who knows. I know it was a lot. We been divorced for a loooong time. Like I said, just a little envy on my part is all.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is definitely true. And having children together is a tough venture. My husband has complained the whole time I've known him about what an ass clown his dad was over homework/schoolwork when he was growing up. My husband is now the ass clown I heard described. It makes raising kids with him tough because our philosophies are miles and miles apart.

My younger daughter is dyslexic and ADHD. I used to think ADHD was a lack of parenting, but believe me, I parent the hell out of her. But her mind is an interesting thing to behold. She's as sharp as a whip, but it is not easy being her parent. She's a straight-up challenge.

And it is hard to focus on your marriage when you have kids. I know some folks still go out all the time, etc., but that's usually the folks who have family nearby to watch the kids. We have never had that luxury, as we are up here without any family around. Now that the girls are 12 and 9, it's easier to get out. I felt guilty leaving them much when they were babies, and I'm sure that the relationship suffered as a result. But as a working mother, I already couldn't stand not seeing them enough during the week that I surely didn't want some teenager watching them on the weekends.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Saw this the other day. Always worked when I was a kid.

belt.jpg

Kal-El012 and GregLSU like this.
  6. StaceyO

I know, I know. I always thought the same thing. But it is actually a real disorder. Having a child with ADHD has made me a much better teacher of ADHD students.

I understand them much better and have more compassion. But they can be very aggravating, to be sure.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yep. My son is ADHD & ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder), and he's so much work that it isn't even funny. We haven't even entertained the thought of having a second because he requires too damn much attention on his own. Even outside of his behavioral issues, he's got this insatiable appetite to know literally everything about the world around him. He's obsessed with fire/security alarms, power lines, generators, air conditioning systems, attic vents, tornadoes, etc., things that normal 4yr olds ordinarily have no interest in. He doesn't really play with toys; he uses them (along with our furniture) to construct massive, elaborate cities and forts. Yes, part of is awesome in concept, but what a fucking pain in the ass to clean-up every day. Fortunately, his dad is an engineer and his mom has a degree in construction management, so we can largely placate him when he starts asking about technical things. But now he's asking us why it gets dark and light every single day. When I explain to him that the earth turns, he says that it needs to stop (he doesn't want it to become night time), and it's really difficult for me to relay to him why that's not possible. And he won't let you bullshit your way through an answer, either. Not at all. On top of all that, he has aggression issues with other kids and his teachers at daycare. He takes Intuniv to calm him down, but he builds up a tolerance to it and it eventually doesn't work nearly as well. We tried stimulants like Vyvanse, but it was a complete disaster.

Absolutely. We've been fortunate in that regard. My mother-in-law doesn't work and lives 2hrs away. They live out in the country, and he absolutely loves going to stay over there. It's been a life saver because we absolutely have to have breaks from him from time-to-time to keep our sanity. I really hate to say that about my own child because I love him more than anything in the entire universe, but it's true. All of the qualified professionals that have dealt with or helped him have said that they've never encountered one like him.

As for the tough love that Shane insinuated, that shit just doesn't work with him. We've tried that, and it blew-up in our faces. When I first read about ODD, I thought it was bullshit. No kid likes to listen to their parents or being told "no". But I eventually came to realize that it is a very real and very serious disorder. I know a lot of other children in his age group, and can see very sharp differences in how they respond to ordinary discipline measures and the way that he does. We had to completely transform our approach to parenting because we were raised in that tough love environment. I'm a hell of a lot more patient and difficult to rattle than I ever thought I'd be, so it's a net positive, I suppose.

StaceyO likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I get where you're coming from. For a time, "ADD" was the buzz and there were a lot of cases of ADD that weren't legit cause it was easy to get. For kids who really have it though, a belt wouldn't be fair. It would be like punishing a girl for sitting down to pee. (Maybe not a really good example- just trying to show punishment not fitting the crime).

I used to drive my dad crazy. For example, if he put me on a tractor to bush hog a 30 acre pasture I preferred cutting it in half and doing two 15 acre pieces. Just made it seem more manageable in my mind- and I'm a mild case of ADD. Working with kids, I took an interest in it and brought home some tapes. Remember wife laughing cause EVERY "sympton" they spoke about, I exhibited. I was around 30 years old at the time though.

The belt did help me, though looking back, I understand why I did a lot of things I knew better and got punished for. My mom would fuss about me coming down the hall slapping the wall, the back of a chair and her and my sister's behind if they were turned to me (not in a sexual manner, by any means- screw Freud). I just had a nervous habit. Always felt I should've played the drums.

Despite the challenge you are facing, that "we" tells me you're very lucky. Parenting philosophies can divide a house. I recognize your challenge (also applaud and commend you for the outlook/approach you're taking) but don't overlook the "good" in a difficult situation- it's very easy to do.

Oh snap, I see you are finding the good, too. ;)

How so? I assume you know that it takes some time for kids' bodies to "adjust" though not nearly as long as most think. For someone not needing it, it actually functions as "speed". I've never heard of ODD before reading your post and just wondering about how it interacted with his situation.

9. StaceyO

Contained, I can completely understand your son's play habits. My ADHD kiddo loves art and has an art studio on the window seat in the kitchen, on the fireplace hearth, on the formal dining room table, etc. I finally had to give her the sink in the laundry room as her "paint sink" because I was tired of washing paint off of the one in the kitchen or half bath. I figure it's part of the territory with a creative kid.

She is also an aspiring film maker and will be off with her iPad for hours and hours at a time making a film with her American Girl dolls or other toys.

She wears me out, but I have a feeling she's going to be a really cool adult.

Contained Chaos and LSUTiga like this.
  10. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I'm a mess actually.....