My ex

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Feb 11, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hear me now and believe me later, Buck. It ain't about putting out . . . it's about synchronicity.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This is definitely true, and we have made extra effort to keep it in mind. At this point in our marriage, our son is absolutely not the only tie that binds. When we do things sans ankle-biter, it's always a good reminder that we're still best friends. We went to the Melting Pot last Friday for our 6th anniversary and just had an amazing time. We were there for 2hrs and had very deep, involved conversations like we did when we first got together. Coincidentally, there was another couple close by that was also celebrating their 6th (the waitress told us), and my wife observed them while we were there. She said they didn't really talk much at all, and both of them kept doing stuff on their phones. Ugh.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Women just want to win. Whatever the game, whatever the stakes, those bitches just want to win, throw you to the ground, then stick a six inch heel up your butt!

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Chin up fella, she is out of your life.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Ahh the silver lining. Thanks friend

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Perhaps you meant "grandmamaster"?

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Is marriage an outdated concept or have people within the marriage system updated their expectations, behavior, etc? I think there is merit in the idea that folks didn't live as long at some point but back then it was more a question of dependence and survival. Those things are less relevant today.

There are still folks who stay married for the duration of their lives. It seems to be rare but still pretty darn special. I know that when I see an elderly couple still holding hands and speaking kindly to each other, it makes me smile.

And FTR, I think once you find the right one, you will be with him for the long haul. :)

tigerchick46 likes this.
  8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think another big part of it is that our lives are so damn much more complicated now than they used to be. For better or worse, the average person seems to have a lot more to worry about nowadays, and I'm not even talking about computers or handheld devices. In general, the world seems to be more complex, and that is a big stressor for anyone that lives in it. And that's not to mention that the stay at home mom is much, much rarer than it used to be. It's so expensive to live and to get through college that in most cases, both parents have to work in order to afford an even reasonably comfortable life.

So, I think that, in large part, the complexities, expectations, and pressures of the world we live in can bog people down and prevent them truly getting to know themselves before they jump into a marriage. Simultaneously, the insecurities that this produces tend to sway people towards marriage so they can feel comfortable. But unresolved personal issues will always resurface in some form or another, and this is where the "irreconcilable differences" tend to stem from.

I didn't marry until I was 31, and that is the exact reason why. I simply would not have been ready for it at any age before that.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

26 here and i can admit I wasnt ready when I look back.

Contained Chaos and shane0911 like this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yep, I did it at 21 and again at 31 and I wasn't ready either time. Beings 41 is in my rear view I suspect that I won't make that mistake again ;)

LSUTiga and LSUMASTERMIND like this.