My father's funeral is today......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Sep 8, 2014.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

....and I will be giving his eulogy since because of sports & business I was kind of the closest too him of the 5 children.

I'm posting this hear because this forum is kind of like a family to me, I've used this forum to keep me distracted when going through some tough times and to help celebrate the good times (especially LSU football & baseball)

Anyway IMO my father was a great man who taught me darn near everything I know about sports by the time I was 10. He was actually a Tulane fan who also liked LSU when they weren't playing the Greenies. (My mother had already brainwashed me into being a Tiger by the time I was 3 as I already knew the words to Hey Fighting Tigers by then.)

Dad was a president of a few banks for about 20 years & then became operations manager & eventually CEO of Ruth's Chris Steak House. He grew Ruth's Chris from 5 units to about 60 by the time he retired making it the largest upscale restaurant franchise in the world.

He was a tremendous judge of talent, personalities, etc as he had to choose who to sell franchises to. He of course had to also hire corporate staff along with managers & evidently did a fabulous job.

He always stayed humble and had a million close friends and business associates. Everywhere us kids went we met people who loved our father.

My whole sports persona is based on the things he taught me from a young age. Always be respectful, enjoy the game, keep an open mind, know the rules, etc.

I'll miss him, especially during football season when watching Saints & LSU games but also when I need advice about darn near anything. But I'll always have great memories to cherish.

Bye Ralphie baby!

2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Sorry for your loss. Best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time.

cajdav1 likes this.
  3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Losing a parent is tough. I lost my father almost 4 years ago, and the above is so true. I will never trust anyone else's advice as much as I did his. I'm sorry for your loss.

cajdav1 likes this.
  4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Dave,

We've been swapping posts on line for a number of years. I've always appreciated your insight and opinions.

Condolences on your loss, but you have a ton of great memories of your time together.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    cajdav1 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have some great memories. God bless your father and family.

cajdav1 likes this.
  6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

sorry for your loss, i thank him for bringing Ruth Chris to s. florida, Im a frequent guest.
    its great you have the best memories of him, that will sustain you through this tough time, trust me.

cajdav1 likes this.
  7. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

My condolences to you and your family.

cajdav1 likes this.
  8. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Sorry for your loss, and cherish those memories.

cajdav1 likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Sorry for your loss, your father sounded like a great man and it seems that the state of Louisiana lost a great man as well.

cajdav1 likes this.
  10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Hold on to those wonderful memories. It's awesome that you had the relationship you did with him.