My Favorite LSU Tiger's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Nov 4, 2003.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

One more, a guy some of you may not remember, he played safety in the early 80's: Steve Rehage. That guy was fearless, he could really put a lick on someone and never passed up the opportunity to do so.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

For the geezers here, does anyone remember when Dietzel used to routinely punt on 3rd down?

Ahhhh. The good old days.;)

3. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

David Woodley, grew up playing in the back yard and we all wanted to be him.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I loved Herb Tyler.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Charles Alexander, LSU's first 4,000-yard rusher and last All-American running back. Size, speed and power. Broke out for big runs frequently.

My favorite unsung hero is Kelly Simmons, the fullback who made an All American out of Charles Alexander. He was an effective and dependable blocker and also carried the ball for a 5-yard average, keeping the defense honest.

6. My top 10
    1. Rohan
    2. Dalton Hilliard
    3. Kevin Faulk
    4. Josh Reed
    5. Rydel Melancon
    6. Chad Lavalais
    7. Billy Cannon
    8. Tommy Casonova
    9. Bradie James
    10. Tommy Hodson

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I love how someone talks about their favorite players, and some posters here decide that means they can throw in who their "least favorite" players are...

Josh Booty led this team to an 8-4 record and was a 1st team All-SEC Coaches Pick his junior year. He made a bad mistake against UAB. That does not make him some type of pariah.

Abram Booty caught the pass that clinched the 1997 UF game. I doubt you guys were hating on him then, nor when he led the comeback against Notre Dame at South Bend in 1998.

I absolutely DETEST when someone gets negative about people who did well for LSU or at least tried to strap it on and go represent the University.

TB Trumpet, I love the Tiger Band, but your attitude is absolutely detestable, and I challenge you to prove how Booty could have done anything more in the 1999 season in which we finished 3-8. He had no offensive coordinator, no coaching, and the scheme around him was designed by someone who's only previous offensive gameplanning experience came at the University of Vermont.

You can disparage them all you like in private company, and I am no Josh Booty apologist, but you won't get away with it here without me telling you where to stick it...

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Booty was a victim of the system. He was fortunate to have benifited from a Saban and Fisher coached team. I have often wondered what Booty could have been with that kind of tutilage right out of HS. For the same reasons, Im very interested to see how JD Booty performs under Carroll and Chow.

Growing up in Alabama, I havent been a fan for long enough to remember any pre-Saban glory days. I became a fan in 98 when the band threw a lot of money at me. To think what might of been had they not! :shock: So, in my short time, these have been my favorites, in no particular order:

Rohan Davey
    Josh Reed
    Kevin Faulk
    Domanick Davis
    Bradie James
    Trev Faulk
    Jarvis Greene
    Chad Lavalais
    Robert Royal (I always loved watching him)

and, last, but not least....

Thomas Dunson!

Emerging favorites:
    Matt Mauck
    Michael Clayton
    Skyler Green
    Marcus Spears
    Corey Webster

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Some of my favorite former Tigers (in no particular order)

Eric Martin WR
    Dalton Hilliard RB
    Wendell Davis WR
    Eddie Kennison WR
    Gabe Northern DE
    Kevin Faulk RB
    Rondell Mealey RB (still have cleet marks on my back from him in high school) :)
    Ryan Thomassie OL (high school teammate and friend)
    Nicky Savoie TE (high school teammate and friend)
    Tommy Hodson QB
    Herb Tyler QB
    David LaFleur TE

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

My favorite LSU football player ever...

Fred Booker...

He walked up to me after I had broken my right hand one day while he was on his way to an interview...

He was asking if he could sign my ace wrap and my brace, asking me how it happened, telling me about some injuries he had had so far that season...Genuinely interested...

Some LSU AD people came out and tried to hurry him along, and he replied, "Can't you see I'm busy?" and backed them off till he got my name and let me let him sign my ace wrap...

Just a refreshing display to me, when I think about it, though at the time, it wasn't that big of a deal...

Bubba Alexander was a close friend of mine while he was at LSU...He got into a lot of trouble, but he was a great guy...

I can remember seeing him in the back of a truck at the Carlotta Street Block Party one Halloween Weekend...He made eye contact with us and literally leaped across State street from one truck into our own...I'm still wondering how he got out of the team hotel that night...

Ahh...memories...