My Favorite LSU Tiger's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Red, you mentioned Jude Hernandez. Maybe others of our era will remember how Charley Mac always called him "Jules" Hernandez. Others suffered as well. Thad Minaldi was "Tad McNaulty." Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think Cholly Mac occasionally mentioned a running back named "Charles Alexandria."

Some of my favorites over the years have been:
    Dalton Hilliard
    Mike Miley
    Warren Capone
    Terry Robiskie
    Eric Martin
    Carlos Carson
    S.J. Saia (because he transferred to LSU from Tulane)
    Ronnie Estay
    Benji Thibodaux

I have never hated an LSU player. Wanted to choke a few, though.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, I have thought the same thing. Also, we are just so solid at every position, its really hard to put a finger on the defensive playmakers because they ALL make plays. There just arent many standouts, no one head and shoulders above. Isnt that great?

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

My favorite Tiger has always been FB Tommy Banks #49. Others include Trev Faulk, Kevin Faulk, Rohan, Raeion Hill, and Josh Reed. Side note-boy Cecil the Diesel could run. His breakout game against Auburn was the greatest single game i have ever seen a running back have. purely dominant. it is a damn shame what he has become.

4. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

I somewhat surprised that Wendell Davis was only mentioned once on this thread! He's very high on my favorite player to watch list. Brains, Moves, Speed, durability - played most of his senior year with busted up ribs - he was a total package WR.

A couple more fellas I'm proud to call tigers-

RB Harvey Williams - standout for a few years with the Raiders
    RB Sammie Martin
    WR Rogee Magee (so funny when announcers pronouced it row-gee)
    WR Tony Moss (wow fast)
    K David Browndyke (great kicker but i remember him for a missed clutch FG against ole miss in 86 - heartbreaker game)
    WR Todd Kinchen
    C Nacho Albergamo

5. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Mine is Simple:
    David Browndyke (One of the most consistent Kickers ever)
    Sammie Martin (Blinding speed and moves) T A&M game
    Tommy Hodson (What can I say)
    Brad Davis (17-16) against OM
    Hokie G. (The most consistent back IMO)
    Eddie Fuller (Steady Teddy bear)
    Windell Davis

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its tough to pick a favorite from all the great Tiger players past and present but I'll go with All American linebacker Mike Anderson. We were teamates at Lee High and even though I never see him when I go to his restaurant whenever I do run into him he usually buys me a drink.

7. Thats a cool story about Fred, I always thought he was very underated. I'll always remember him shutting down Ga Tech's star receiver in the Peach Bowl on a sprained ankle. Good player.

8. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Wow. Looks like I struck a nerve here. My first year at LSU was in 1999. First year in Tigerband, first year of LSU football (Until that point, I'd only seen a handfull of games, most of which were when I was in elementary school and didn't really care too much about football). 1999 left a bad taste in my mouth when it came to LSU football. Let's face it, that year sucked. I'm sure you can point the finger at anyone and say they had a part in the downfall; most notably Gerry DiNardo. But, being the young and naive person that I was at the time, I pointed my finger at the Quaterback, who is suppost to be the "field general" of the team.
    Looking at Booty's stats from that year, he threw 19 intercetpions and only 7 touchdowns. Right there that should tell you something about his throwing ability. All quaterbacks throw interceptions, but Booty had the uncanny ability to throw an interception at the absolutely worse possible time during a game,
    which was when we were trailing and trying to regain momentum.
    Just when I would begin to get my hopes up again, BAM!! He throw the ball perfectly into the opposing team's reciever's hands.
    This is why I blame our losing season on him. Most tiger fans would leave the games early in disgust. I didn't blame them. I wanted to walk out early too, but I couldn't. Being a member of Tigerband, I had to remain positive throughout the entire game. I found that very hard to do. But like I said, I was young and naive. It was my first real LSU football season, and I was disappointed. I didn't know about the other drama going on behind the scenes concering the coaching staff. The only good thing that came from that season is that it helped transform me into a hard-core LSU fan. I've already lived through the worse of LSU football, and I see a bright future ahead of us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In the year 2000, Booty didn't start every game. After his disastrous playing during the UAB game, Rohan Davey started for Tennesse and Florida. But during Florida, he was injured again. Davey should have been our quarterback that year, but unfortunately he was always recovering from injuries.

9. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

Good answer TB, now that everyone is bringing other great names like W. Davis, T.Kinchen, I can see how hard it is to mention one fav player. I like players who give everything that they have and always play 100%. Herb Tyler is a perfect example of this.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

:shock: :shock:

I played trumpet in '99. Whats your name?