My Favorite LSU Tiger's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Nov 4, 2003.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

you know i dont remember anyone mentioning Y.A. Tittle

probably a little before our time. No old geysers on the board?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I forgot,

If I remember right,

Although he didn't play that long, T. Kinchen ran 2 punt returns back for td's in 1 game

3. SabanRules

SabanRules Founding Member

Now, this is someone who remembers the flash of greatness we had in the 80s. That was a great time to be a Tiger Fan. Here are a few more: Todd Coutee, Chris Carrier, Jeff Wickersham, Eddie Fuller, Tommy Hodson, Bryan Kinchen, God rest Eric Andolsek, Ralph Norwood, Garry James, Eric Hill, Ron Sancho, Sean Burks, Karl Dunbar, Verge Ausberry, and so many others. My favorite coaches: Cholly Mac, Arnbarger (I've finally forgiven him for leaving us), Archer (fired too soon), and, of course, Nick Saban.

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

I'll do it by position -

QB - Rohan Davey (all time favorite Tiger) - Talk about a TEAM player. All the crap with the Booty's and you NEVER heard Davey complain or threaten to transfer. Nall was always threatening. Davey stayed above it all. Just a MAN.

Others - Bert Jones, Mike Miley (first I really remember), Alan Risher and Mickey Guidry. I admire Guidry for being a team player. I thought he was a better leader than Hodson and LSU may have done better with Guidry in (he sure sparked us whenever he came in), and yet you never heard him complain.

RB - Charles Alexander - First LSU All American player I can VIDIDLY remember.

Others - Gary James, Dalton Hilliard, Tommy Banks, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Martin, Billy Cannon, Jimmy Taylor.

O. Linemen - Nacho Albergamo - Seemed to just do his job and was outstanding in the class.

Others - Mawae, Fanaca, Lance Smith, Ruffin Rodrigue, Erik Andolsak, Tyler Lafauci, Todd McClure

WRs - Wendell Davis - Best college WR I've ever seen. He made Hodson an All American candidate. When Davis left, all the hype for Hodson went with him. Made some of the most unbelievable catches I've ever seen. He was BETTER than Cris Carter of Ohio State. I truly believe he would have been an NFL HOFer had he never had to play on that pathetic Veteran's Stadium turf.

Others - Josh Reed, Eric Martin, Herman Fontenot (had him in a class - QUIET, but nice guy), Carlos Carson, Doug Moreau.

TEs - Nicky Savoie - Definitely at the top of the list of all time head cases. The things I heard about Nicky's "practice antics" merit his inclusion here. Plus, I really haven't gotten too excited about too many TE's. I always thought LaFleur was extremely overrated - a 6-5 guy who couldn't break the tackle of a 5-9 CB. LaFleur had to have a NEGATIVE "yards after first hit". And, he seemed to drop more than his fare share of balls.

Others -
    Harold Bishop.

D Lineman - Chad Lavalais - I've pretty much limited my answers to PAST players, but Lavalais is the best lineman I've every seen. If Booger was a mid-first rounder in the NFL, Lavalais should be the first player picked in the draft. Some team is going to get a STEAL.

Others -
    A.J. Duhe, Eric Kittok, Leonard Marshall, Roland Barbay (went to HS with Roland), Booger, Henry Thomas, Karl Wilson, Marc Boutte, Gabe Northern, Chuck Wiley

LBers - Michael Brooks - Simply the best LB to ever wear an LSU uniform. IMHO, would have been a sure thing NFL HOFer had he not gotten injured.

Others -
    Eric Hill, Ron Sancho, Bradie James, Toby Caston, Warren Capone, Shawn Burkes.

Cornerbacks - Steve Rehage - Maybe not the greatest talent, but the BIGGEST hitter we've ever had back there. The guy just didn't care about his body.

Others -
    I generally like the entire Soul Patrol of the late '70s, Eugene Daniels, James Britt, Chris Williams, Liffort Hobley (GREAT NAME), Greg Jackson, Chris Williams, Norman Jefferson, Tory James.

Place Kicker - David Browndyke - With the exception of ONE kick, I don't think LSU ever had a Mr. Automatic for FOUR years like we had in David Browndyke. He came right after the Juan Bentanzos/Ronnie Lewis FIASCO.

Others -
    Corbello, Danny Boyd.

Punters - Jeremy Whitten - The only players we've ever had who could actually pooch punt. Overall, I've always been extremely disappointed in LSU's punters because the always seem to do the opposite of what we need them to do. If we need them to drop a 35 yarder inside the 10 yard line - they have all inevitably kicked the ball 65 yards through the endzone. When we need a bomb out of our endzone, they have inevitably shanked it off the side of their foot. Overall, I've liked Donnie Jones, but even he has been inconsistent, AT BEST.

5. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Gotta disagree with you there. Decent x's and o's coach, but a horrible head coach and recruiter. He wasn't ready to be a head coach in the SEC. He was only hired because Tommy Hodson and some of the other players showed up at the BOS meeting and made "intimations" about leaving if Archer wasn't hired - I still am not a big fan of Hodson's because of that.

He won with Stovall's and Arnsparger's talent and then he fell apart when he had to rely on his own recruits. During recruiting season, I got REALLY TIRED of hearing that we beat out Tulane, Northwestern, USL and/or Northeastern for "such and such recruit". We never seemed to beat out Michigan, F$U, or Notre Dame during the Archer regime - EVEN FOR LOUISIANA PLAYERS. Just because we are THE school in Louisiana, we will get so many high school all-americans every year. But, Archer seemed to even lose these guys. How many NFLers did we lose during the Archer years?

Archer HAD to go. He was in SO FAR over his head. And, that's why he's done no better than being a coordinator during the 13-14 years since he left LSU.

6. Claw

Claw Founding Member

I grew up listening to John Ferguson on Saturday nights with my father. One of my favorite childhood memories. I'd hear Charles Alexander running for 300 yards against Wyoming in '77. Last all america running back at LSU was Kevin "all eyez on 3" Faulk, btw. Favorites? Nacho Albergamo, Lance Smith, Booger McFarland, Ramsey Dardar, Orlando McDaniel, Eddie Kennison, David LaFleur, Michael Brooks, Toby Caston, the Dalton James Gang, Allen Richer, Tony Moss, Josh Reed (Remember the 2 point conversion in the Peach Bowl?) Kevin Guidry...makes a game-saving pick at Georgia to clinche the win. David Browndyke...game winning field goal at the buzzer to beat Bama in Birmingham...and everybodys favorite...Hodson to Fuller to beat Auburn in the Quake Game. I was in the army stationed in California watching the game in my living room. When that pass was completed, I went from seated to 6 feet airborne in a second! My raised hands hit the 10 foot ceiling in my apartment....and I'm only 5'7" lol

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Technically Kevin Faulk made All American as an "all-purpose back", not at running back. He posted good numbers in return yardage and receiving, as well as amazing rushing yards.

But yes, he was the last LSU running back to make an All American team.