My Mock Draft: Version 1.0

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I have the Saints trading away or (losing to free agency) Jammal Brown to the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks will in turn give up their #14 pick in the draft (1st round tender only).

I then have the Saints trading down from 14 to #24, in a trade for the Eagles and getting their #24 pick as well as their (3rd round, 6th pick) in the draft.

For those draft picks, I have the following selections:

1st Round 24th pick - Dan Williams (DT/Tennessee)
    1st Round 32nd pick - Sean Weatherspoon (WLB/Missouri)
    2nd Round 32nd pick - Daryl Washington (SLB/TCU)
    3rd Round 6th pick - Austen Lane (DE/Murray State)
    3rd Round 31st pick - Dennis Pitta (TE/BYU)
    5th Round 32nd pick - Adam Ulatoski (OT/Texas)
    6th Round 32nd pick - Robert Johnson (FS/Utah)
    7th round 32nd pick - John Estes (C/Hawaii)

The first 4 picks take care of our most glaring needs (DE, DT, both OLBs). We also pick up a solid TE prospect we can groom behind Shockey (same size and speed). Then we work on depth on the O-line and a free safety (another need).

2. clair

clair Rockets

this is so specific with the trade to the Seahawks specifically that it's comical.

Also, no one is giving up a Top 15 pick for Jammal Brown. Sorry.

3. islstl

He's a 2 time Pro-Bowler that you can get really cheap (compared to a lot of other left tackles).

He will get us a first rounder. That I have no doubt.

How your Cowboys doing?

4. clair

clair Rockets

Willie Roaf -- although beginning to be past his prime at the time -- got a 4th round pick for the Saints.

No way a team gives up a first round pick for a guy who is coming off a season-ending injury.

I could fully be wrong, because the Eagles got Peters for a 1st rder last year, but there's a big difference between the 28th pick and the 15th pick. Got to think in terms of PR, Seattle will want to draft their own players this year, anyway. Although effective, it is boring to trade the first round pick away for an offensive lineman.

BTW, if he is so good and so cheap, why would the Saints dump him anyway? Lord knows Bushrod had problems blocking the speedy DE's this year at times anyway.

And this is a big offseason for the Cowboys. They are being thrust into the spotlight just in that those around them in the NFC all will be worse by attrition. Should be fun, because head-to-head our teams do matchup well -- hence the Week 15 game.

5. islstl

The Saints may very well choose to resign Brown. I think they go the route of either a 1st round tender or 1st and 3rd if they are bold. Depends on how much money they want to be on the hook for.

Bushrod did well enough for the Saints to win a Super Bowl. And he will improve.

Brown is expendable becuase of Bushrod.

6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

:hihi:

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm not sure Brown is expendable because of Bushrod. The Saints had to give Bushrod a lot of help blocking and he still wasn't that dependable.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Didn't you hear, they have this great new stadium, but they're stuck with Romo the choke artist. Expect them to look really good again next season and then fall flat on their azz come the playoffs. Oh well they do have that nice big stadium.

9. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Exactly. I don't see the Saints giving up Brown at all. Bushrod did well, but there were clearly times he put Brees in danger (most notably Demarcus Ware).

10. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

1st Round 24th pick - Dan Williams (DT/Tennessee)
    1st Round 32nd pick - Sean Weatherspoon (WLB/Missouri)
    2nd Round 32nd pick - Daryl Washington (SLB/TCU)
    3rd Round 6th pick - Austen Lane (DE/Murray State)
    3rd Round 31st pick - Dennis Pitta (TE/BYU)
    5th Round 32nd pick - Adam Ulatoski (OT/Texas)
    6th Round 32nd pick - Robert Johnson (FS/Utah)
    7th round 32nd pick - John Estes (C/Hawaii)

Williams and Spoon would be excellent choices, but I just dont see Seattle biting on brown. They'll probably look at Davis, Campbell etc, and a safety. IF they do bite, Bushrod needed a lot of help this year, so we'd have to target a tackle earlier than the 5th round. Washington won't fall all the way to us in the second round. Other than that i have no problem with this draft.