My NCAA Baseball Top 25

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KTeamLSU, Mar 13, 2005.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

LOL, maybe so, but here's MY shot at the top 5 SO FAR THIS SEASON:

1. Cal State - One of the few teams in the top 10 I've seen and have been impressed by. (others include Tulane, LSU, and Florida.)

2. Texas - Still too early to tell, but they're always solid behind Augie Garrido. Also, they have the most impressive resume' thus far...

3. Florida - I didn't expect this team to be able to compete so early, and their play against Miami (who returns a lot) is admirable. Other than the UM series, really haven't been tested....
    3. Miami - LOTS of returning talent, my favorite (other than LSU,) to win it all.

4. Tulane - until their offense comes around, I'm suprised I have them in the top 5. But we all know (and hate) their pitching and bull pen. Keep that up, and they'll be in Omaha regardless of their offense (who SHOULD be a damn good by mid season.)

5. LSU - I just HAD to include them in the top 5, because it would break my heart to not have them there. Other than that, they have A LOT to prove to everyone. Their starters (pitchers, and returning players) have been solid for the most part. Our offense is actually a little bit ahead of pitching (from top to bottom including newcomers.) Once we get the kinks out of our lineup, we'll jump back into the top 3--mark my words.

But, it's still WAY TOO EARLY for anything beyond top 5. Also keep in mind that I've actually been following the top ten in baseball thus far this season... Also just like with every season, look for at least a few teams within the top 30 or so to be of top 5-10 caliber by the time regionals come....

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Because being a baseball bum is my goal in life. And because I pretty much have no life the way it is now. :grin:

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i understand. I love baseball as well.

its funny local fans always overrate the opposing baseball teams since its far easier to see weaknesses within. Baseball is not a sport where teams are overly dominant winning 80-90% of their as they are often accustomed as in football therefore, losing game causes people to discount LSU's teams. it will always be that way I suppose, its the nature of the sport.

Most people think all starters should already be seasoned and the position players set in stone like finely tuned instrument yet that's half the fun. watching players develop and progress throughout their career is really what makes it so special.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I agree. I like watching a coach play guys at different positions until he finds the right line up that makes a team click.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely HATE not being in BR so I can go to baseball games in person? :cuss:

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You mean Smoke doesn't recruit programmable robots? :)

You're right Tirk, one of the things I love about baseball is watching a team develope over the course of a season and players over the course of their career's. Living in Atlanta I've had the opportunity to watch so many Braves players, especially the young ones, develope and I love it. It's also very interesting to watch Bobby Cox develope his team over the course of the year as well.

Smoke uses the early season as he should, he gives unproven players a chance to make their mark, as Hollander has done so far this season. He has put pitchers in that impressed in the fall but haven't been able to do too much so far. I think it's a darn good thing he isn't already settled on a lineup from what happened in the fall.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think smoke has found a nice leadoff hitter in hollander, at least until sprowl is back.

I dont know the official numbers but hollander's obp was right at .600 going into sunday. he BA isnt the greatest but a leadoff man's job is to get on base and hollander seems to have welcomed that role.