My Problem With UT...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Dec 11, 2002.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

I am a die hard LSU fan, but used to really like Texas also(since we didn't play them). I really enjoyed watching them with Ricky Williams and Major Applewhite.
    And this is where my problem started with Texas. Your coach took a guy that owns all of your passing records and was responsible for so many of your wins. Let's face it- if he couldn't pass the ball, Ricky couldn't have run for 2000 yards against 8 man fronts. P.S. this is what happened to us when Mauck got injured.
    Your coach obviously made this Simms kid(who has proved that he is not half of the QB that Applewhite was) a promise when recruiting him, that he would start. His father was not that good of a QB and he has followed in his steps.
    I think, and this is my opinion only and I'm not trying to start anything, that the problem ya'll have with playing to the level that you should play to is MB probably promised all of those great recruits that they would start. The problem is that there are only 22 starting positions and 25 recruits every year.
    I am not trying to start anything because Ya'll consistantly recruit the best class every year. Hell, Ya'll recruit better than Miami. That brings the heat directly on your coach. I feel that he did some great players bad to recruit others. It's hard to argue with the Applewhite-Simms thing because Major always had to come in and save Chris. Unless Chris stayed in too long and Major didn't have enough time.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I agree. When Major was there I really liked Texas because the hometown kid was a star. Once they put Simms in it really made me dislike them. If Chris Simms didn't have that last name there is no way that he would replace Major as starter in his last year. I think Major did have knee surgery sometime in his career but he could obviously still play, evidenced by his comebacks.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Yeah, I liked (still do) Ricky and Major. Major did have knee surgery but it's not like he was super-mobile at the time, therefore his legs weren't the reason for his early success. I'm pretty sure Simms became the full-time starter after Major was co-Big 12 player of the year and suffered an ACL injury. If Major starts in the Big 12 Championship game last year, Texas may have been in the National Championship game. He was such an easy guy to root for because he didn't look like an athlete.

4. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I hate Texas. I hate the University of Texas. I hate burnt orange. I hate Mack Brown. Heck, I even hate ole BEVO. But I have nothing but respect and admiration for Major Applewhite.

Major Applewhite got completely screwed by Mack Brown, and any fan of Texas (or college football) should feel the same way. Sims is a decent QB, and might have much more talent than Applewhite, but he doesn't have the respect of the team . . . much like the Booty/Ro situation for LSU. Sims' Dad was a little better than mentioned in an earlier post (the man did throw something like 20 complete passes in a row during a playoff game); but that should be no reason to start Sims when Applewhite was playing so well (and was the leader of the team). I don't care what Brown promised Sims or his family, the goal at Texas is to win games, not satisy some long ago recruiting promise. For that reason alone the good people of Texas should've run Brown out of town.

I'm glad someone started this thread. Not being a fan of Texas, I never got the chance to fully rant on the subject. I wish nothing but the best for Applewhite in the future. He will probably become a great coach, and I can't think of a more deserving ex-college football player. I do want to say that I don't hate Sims, but if I had to choose which QB to head my team . . . it would be Applewhite.

5. Hookem

Hookem Freshman

Whoa, hang on LSU fans........

I like the ole Major just as much as the next guy. I thought, and still do, that he is one top notch guy and a very good college QB.

However, Applewhite had been known as "applesauce" and "appleturnover" just prior the to switch at QB. I watched him throw interceptions and lose to KSU twice. So, the arguement that he couldn't win the big one was sticking.

To my knowledge, and anyone else's that I have seen officially, there was no promises made to Simms. The decision was made because at the time MB felt that Simms' ability would surpass that of Applewhite's, and he was correct.

The other intangibles are what set them apart but that was not known at the time. Applewhite became a folk hero and town favorite after he got benched.

6. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

correct me if I am wrong.....

But wasn't it Major Applewhite who saved Texas I think Last Year against Oregon when Joey Harrington was there, and Texas was done like 20 something points, and Mack put in Major and he led Texas back to win in the fourth quarter in the Holiday Bowl.

7. PoorAggies

PoorAggies Freshman

Re: correct me if I am wrong.....

Actually, that was against Washington.

One thing many the outsiders don't understand is that Major has thrown his fair share of games away as well (see Cotton Bowl '99 vs the Razorbacks, KSUs, A&M '99, OU '00 was 63-14).Major just happened to go out with style, causing everyone to forget his earlier blunders. We would have been much better off if Mack wouldn't have rotated the quarterbacks every five seconds.

You have to admit Simms has some serious talent. He's been excellent this year. Moreover, he's hardly thrown any picks if you subtract recievers who have bobbled/tipped the ball (2 at OU and one from a bad route at Tech). What's frustrating though is that our offense won't throw the long ball; It's shredded lots of secondaries this year. Too bad Greg only calls 2 or 3 longballs a game(#@!?*%!!!!).

8. Hookem

Hookem Freshman

Major DID almost bring us back against Colorado last year after Simms had the worst qtr of his career. All I'll say about that is every QB has a really bad game and Simms just picked the wrong night to have his.

Major did go out in style....that's true.

9. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

Simms...

Simms always has a bad day when something is on the line! But, since the Texas faithful don't think that we are worthy of playing the great UT then maybe he'll not get so nervous and will have a good game. Sounds like a plan, but I'm still thinking that we will shake him enough for him to show what he's really got down inside! I'll go out on a limb and say 3-4 interceptions. That would look good on the cover of ESPN the magazine.

Isn't it funny how there hasn't been a picture of him in the Magazine since the season started.

10. nt

nt Freshman

you think you're telling us something we don't already know? i compare major to that notre dame dude....rudy, only major kicked alot more ass. sucker had a noodle arm and couldn't run if his life depended on it, but man could he throw the deep ball.