My solution to the NFL overtime "controversy"

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by SabanFan, Feb 9, 2010.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

60% since they moved the kickoff from the 35 to the 30. just move it up again. i think it was 53/47 or something close when it was.

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Coin flip determines the winner. That way no one gets too tired. Sort of like the BCS 1-2's are determined.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Thank you.

It doesn't matter who wins the coin flip. You still have to execute, regardless of if you're playing offense or defense or if you lose your starting left tackle or both starting cornerbacks. Leave the whining and excuses to amateur football.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How about this? The OT coin flip winner chooses to receive or kick off. If they fail to score or get into field goal range they can punt or choose to go for it on 4th down or whatever the situation and field position dictates. If the other team then scores whether by a punt return of a drive resulting in a score the game is over. But if the team that initially kicked off and got the ball via a punt, taking over on downs or a turnover fails to score then that team in their turn gets to receive a kickoff as the second overtime period starts. No game clock for OT Repeat the procedure until there is a winner. Both teams will have gotten equal posessions and chances to score.

If the team receiving the intial OT kickoff scores by whatever means they kick off and the other team has to either match their score for the game to continue or get a touchdown in the case of the other team getting a field goal. Just like in college, after 2 OT periods both teams would have to go for a 2 point conversion after touchdowns.

This formula puts all scoring options back into play, including a safety. Under ther present college rules its very unlikely that there would ever be a safety unless a very strange play happened. I don't know if there ever has been a saftey in an OT in a college game on any level. If a safety were to happen under the college rule and the team scoring by safety was in the position of having to go on defense then the other team would already be in field goal range by starting with the ball on the 25 yard line. Under my system if a safety occured at least the other team would have to earn it by driving to get into field goal range.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is probably the best solution.

I love the strategy involved in forcing teams to decide if they want to kick a FG or get aggressive and win the game with a TD.

And if your defense gives up a TD on the first possession, you deserve to lose even though your team never got the ball.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How many winners of the coin toss elected to go on defense? I rest my case.

A voice of reason. :thumb:

7. MLUTiger

A worthless statistic. No matter where the odds lie, the teams must still go out and execute. Unless the coin flip takes away a team's ability to execute plays, then it's a moot point best left to talking heads whose job is to keep you looking at the car wreck so you'll buy more beer, diapers and/or bar soap.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If true then, statiscally, 50% of flip winners would choose to defend. In reality, if a coach chose to defend and lost by a field goal he would be fired on the spot. Argue that winning the toss doesn't guarantee a win but don't try to convince me that it's irrelevant.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is correct.

This meeting is adjourned.

10. MLUTiger

What deep, dark intestinal crevice did you pull this from?

Of course. His team didn't stop the other team's offense. They did not execute. Throw this in with other variables such as "the cornerback blew out his knee", "the field is wet" and "that funny shaped ball bounced the other direction" that are filed under "tough ****, but we still have to go out and execute".

We should get rid of the coin flip at the beginning of the game as well. The team with the ball usually scores first which means the other team has to play from behind. It's not fair to the other team, really.

[​IMG]

Man up and play. Not everyone gets a turn, especially if your defense sucks. That's your problem, not the other teams...