My spring game observations....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxscott, Apr 25, 2004.

1. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

QB's
    First of all, If anyone saw anything out of the 2 freshmen that says they are ready for an SEC schedule more than Randall, you need your head examined.

Randall
    GOOD - made some really good throws especially the TD (it was a difficult throw and it was PERFECT), he also ran the ball well and seemed to be the most comfortable in the pocket.

BAD - seemed to be some miscommunication with receivers at times

Russell
    GOOD - Man does this guy have an arm. Very well could be the strongest arm I have seen on a QB. Made some great throws over the middle and used his arm strength to zip it between defenders.

BAD- seemed to over throw receivers and sometimes tried to force things.

Flynn
    GOOD - had a good 4th quarter, made some pretty good throws

BAD - Probably the least impressive QB today. Seemed to rush things and tried to force some things.

QB's disadvantage- I will cut QB's some slack due to the rules in place for the game. The "touched" and your down rule is in my opinion a little unfair to the QB's. In a number of instances the DE would come around the end, the QB would step up in the pocket avoiding the DE and the DE would barely touch the QB. In a real game, there would be no way the QB would get tackled but with the rules in place he was called down. I know this was put in place to prevent injury but I felt it rushed a lot of decisions due to them knowing that even if they are barely touched they are down.

RB's
    Vincent- looked good while he was in just as I expected

Brousard- supposedly lost weight, but somehow looks bigger (in a good way), made some really good runs and Will be a force in the SEC.

Carey- I was really impressed with Carey in the game, he made some nice cuts and in my opinion should be the #2 RB.

Addai- played very well as a WR and could very well be calling this his home if he can improve holding on to the football.

WR's
    Green- did just as expected, he was blazing fast

Bowe- made some big catches, especially his one from Randall in the back of the endzone, he will be a solid WR for LSU next year

Webster- could very well be the best WR on the team, If anyone is wondering if we have a Hiesman candidate......YES WE DO!!

Defense
    Besides the known starters...a few players that stuck out in my mind

Child- will be a great DB in the future and will get some PT this year

Stevenson- looked to be a pretty big guy, made some good plays and should see a lot of PT

Wroten- one word "WOW".......this guy is huge and should live up to all his hype

Kickers
    Punting- one word "WOW".......we need to work on this a little. I will give Fisher the benefit of the doubt as it was really windy and he may have been trying to kick it too hard. But we definitely need to work on this.

FG's- I was pleased with the FG kicking in the game. There were some misses but again it was very windy and that causes a lot of problems in the kicking game.

Overall I was pretty impressed by the spring game. I knew going in that our defense was going to dominate and it did. So I don't fault our offense for not playing quite as well as expected, because they were going up against the #1 defense in the country.

These are just a few things that stuck out and that I remember right now. I will be adding to the list as I recall more things. Feel free to add your own thoughts on what you saw.

2. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Wroten is ready to start right now. He'll make the biggest immediate impact among the 2004 class.

3. yellowex

yellowex Founding Member

vincent looks great and he is gonna have a awesome year

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Very nice rundown of the spring game, Geauxscott.

One thing that you can not possibly explain well is the shape of the punting game. It's not often to see a punt go for negative yardage.... before it hits the ground... then bounce back another 15 negative yards...

Ok, maybe not that badddd but it definitely went for significant negative yardage after it was done rolling. :)

5. LSUdude

LSUdude Founding Member

I went to a couple of practices and Wroten could not be blocked. I really dont think there will be a big drop off in production at all from Lavalais. Wroten is a beast!!!

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Kyle Williams looked VERY good as well. Our defensive line will again be very good at disrupting opposing offenses. Wroten is a lot like Lavalais in that he appears to be a dominant one gap lineman.

IE-Not a Gilbert Brown type, who blocks up two holes and keeps the offensive lineman off the linebackers and puts the pressure on the blocking backs, group blocking schemes, and the running back himself to get into open space. That'd be a two gap player. A Ted Washington/Norman Hand type.

He's a one gapper, as was Lavalais, who made the offensive lineman actually defend him as he made a move to the ball carrier, defending the actual play and pursuing the ball as opposed to just stuffing up the holes and gumming up the offensive lineman on their way to block downfield...

Kyle Williams seems to be able to do both equally well...

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

again, nice work by you fellas posting rundowns of the spring game.

8. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I was impressed with Mario. Man this kid can really jump up there an get it. I think he'll do really well for us. I was watching Pittman, and he is just so fast the lineman don't even have a chance to block him.

Also was very impressed with Turner, he is the man of the LBs and he showed it saturday.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Pitman is also bigger than he was in the fall. We will have a dominating defense again. The bottom line is how the QB position will perform is going to determine how our season goes to a large extent.

10. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

I talked to my dad last night, and he said the players that stood out to him were Bowe, Stevenson, and Wroten. It's nice to be able to replace starters that easily.