My take on the recruits upcoming decision

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Jan 20, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I've enjoyed this whole "recruiting fiasco" as much as the next guy. This is a time of year that no matter how disappointed your season may have finished, everyone's all excited again.

Having said that, I'd like to give my opinion on the current state of RP and his "band of merry men" (Rouse and Bennett). While I applaud the efforts Coach Miles is giving, and reguardless of whether or not we actually land any of these 3, we're going to have a solid class nonetheless. Whatever our "bottom-line" figure ends up coming Feb. 2nd, we have nothing to fear. We only have 16-20 scholly's to work with, whereas other programs have 25. We're in a good situation to be very good and very young as a team right now.

But, after reading some of Dauterive on rivals where he said,
    (this said today), and the fact that RP, Rouse, and Bennette have been "heavy leans" towards Texas from the beginning, has me wondering that they're planning on visiting LSU, getting everyone in Texas in a panic and all disappointed, only to turn around and become even more appreciated by Texas fans when they turn around and sign with the Longhorns.

It's a perfect scenerio for 3 high school kids to become even MORE of the "talk-of-the-town" than what they already are. Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm wrong with my assessment....but it's just lining up to fall that way.

As good as RP, Rouse and Bennett are, we were JUST as high on Russell, Doucet and Carter last season. With Russell's "up-and-down" campaign this season, RP could see this as an opportunity to unseat the would-be-starter, Russell as early as next season.

Rouse's situation is a little more cloudy. As great a receiver as he is, we still have starters at every WR position returning next season. And with only Skyler Green as the only Sr. with substantial playing time (Brazell is the other SR WR), in '06, we're still returning Doucet, Carter and Hill (who would all be Juniors) as well as Bowe and Davis (who would be Sr's). So at the least, we still have Doucet, Carter, Bowe and Davis all slated to start for the next 2 seasons.... and if that's how it ends up, which one of you will argue that that group isn't shaping up to be one of the best WR groups in college football??? Getting Rouse would absolutely put us in the #1 spot for receivers, and would guarantee us tramendous production from the WR position for even more years than what we're at now, but it's not like we absolutely need him right now.

Bennett argueably has the clearest path to start once David Jones graduates next season. Right now, even with Bennett, Jones is #1.

If these 3 young men are determined to all go to the same school and all contribute right away, realistically, I only see 2 of them (RP and Bennette) getting the opportunity for immediate playing time. And that's where my concern for doubt about them coming to LSU lies.

2. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I disagree. RP would have a better chance at playing time here than at Texas. It would be almost impossible for an incoming freshmen to replace Vince Young at Texas. Whereas, neither of our current QBs is a lock for next year.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I know. That's why I said this:
    Of the "big 3" (RP, Rouse and Bennett), I believe only 2 of them (RP and Bennett) have a shot to see substantial playing time and only RP has a chance to start as a true freshman.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Interesting observation, Boston. Given that RP is a Diva (IMHO), you may be right. I, too, hope you are wrong, but the kid is showing a pattern of behavior that screams "ME, ME, ME!"

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I am one of the few (Feel free to flame away) who truly believes Perriloux has about a zero percent chance of coming here. I believe he wants to go to Texas and will go to Texas and this whole charade is going to be dissapointing for many Tiger fans. I think since he is in Louisiana the best way to get love and attention in the state is to talk about "The possibility" to go to LSU.

BUt flame if you want, but I am pretty confident RP is not coming to LSU and his mind was made up a long time ago.

But thats just me, I have nothing to base that on but a hunch.

6. OkieTigerTK

And if you are right, he will learn (really fast) that the best way to turn "love and attention" in to "unwanted attention" is to jack around Tiger fans!

7. OkieTigerTK

Oh, and I'm certainly not going to flame you. The more I read about this kid, the less I could care where he goes. I guess I am the one asking to get flamed now.

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Of course I dont expect everyone to remember what everyone else says about recruits.
    However i have said many times, when Perriloux goes to Texas I will look forward to him having great success, because although I would be dissapointed one of our own left, I also understand why. Sometimes kids like to go away to school, experience new things, be in a different town and culture.
    Also when he is at Texas I will root for him, because I root for ALL Louisiana kids to do well. I will be happy to tell my UT friends, you know that kid you are cheering, he is from Louisiana....

So no matter what his choice, I hope he excels. And accomplishes great things, just as I wish this for ALL Louisiana kids who have a chance to shine.

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

The UT/T all time leading passer is from LA. Major Applewhite, still a shame WE didn't take a chance there.

10. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Honestly, I think Larry D's comments are right on about this situation. I think, Ryan P is getting a lot of pressure from different directions to go to LSU. I think, personally, he really likes Texas...

Having said that, I think the pressure to stay home, the better situation at LSU than at Texas, and RP's mom loving Miles delivers RP to LSU...