My top 10 football programs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 9, 2007.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I saw 1980 Nc, but i didnt see the 1942 on a website i was looking at.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I didn't see the 1942 championship on the web site that I looked at. It shows Ohio St as the AP champ and no coaches poll champ in 1942.

Maybe their claim is a lot like USC's in 2003. :lol:

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I put FSU on my list as a current powerhouse, probably because it's just hard to admit that they aren't a powerhouse anymore. I mean from 1989 to about mid-way through last year, FSU had been ranked in the Top 25 every week of every year except for 3 weeks total. That's pretty insane -- almost two decades. And all of that was under Bowden, who has been their coach since '76. But yeah, I don't know anybody who thought of FSU as a powerhouse last season or this season. But FSU's current recruiting class is ranked top 5, and three out of their four previous recruiting classes were ranked top 5.

[​IMG]

4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

The only change I would make to this list- flip flop LSU and Florida. Otherwise, looks pretty good to me.

:crystal: :geaux: :crystal: :geaux: :crystal:

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

My list as follows...

1)USC
    2)UF
    3)LSU
    4)OU
    5)tOSU
    6)VT
    7)Texas
    8)UGA
    9)AU
    10)WVU

Any of the top 5 could be flipped around in any given year.

This is based on the performance in the past 5-7 years, along with what I believe will be the performance in the next 3-5 years.

That is the reason for teams such as Bama, Miami, FSU, Tennessee, Penn State, Michigan, and ND being left out. Of those teams, I don't think anyone can say with any amount of certainty that any of them are "on the rise".

Just because Saban's at Bama doesn't mean they are on the rise, IMHO. They finished with the exact same record this year as last, and have only one winning season in the past 5 years.

FSU has one BCS bowl appearance in the past few years, which they lost...albeit in 3 OTs. But they came into that game ranked #22...so...no.

Penn St. is up and down, and their coaching stability is at question...Joe Pa will likely not be there much longer...and is really nothing more than a mascot now anyway...God love him.:lol:

Michigan? Who knows? They must secure a coach first, and not lose to Div. 1 AA teams. They just lost their starting RB, QB, and big play reciever to graduation...so let's see what they have next year in all those areas before we crown their arse.

ND? They lived off the media for years...highly overrated. They needed a year like this one to realize this. It may actually serve to wake them up, but I doubt it...and if it does, it'll take a while to fix it, anyway.

Miami? From the looks of things, it's a sinking ship. They too have been overrated for a few years, although not as badly as ND. Since '02, they have been on a downward spiral, and have done nothing to convince me that they are on the way back up.

Tennessee...hot and cold. Really, for the past 5 years, they have looked awful. This year, they didn't even look good winning the east. Losing their QB leaves a question mark for the future.

Most...if not all of the teams I listed as being left out have had or are having currently really good recruiting results...at least based on Rivals and Scout. BUT, most of them have BEEN having similar results in recruiting, and still suffering on the field. So again, just because the future LOOKS bright...doesn't mean it WILL BE bright.

6. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

You just hit the nail on the head there Fishhead. It's about developing the talent you get and I think the list above shows what programs currently have the best record at doing this.

In a perfect world all the recruits would be 5 star guys at the schools on the list but they aren't and those that can find the 3 star guys that are diamonds in the rough are the ones with the more successful programs.

Except for USC of course, which seems to get only 5 star recruits (kidding, but not that much).

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Funny thing about VTech, Beamer based on recruiting proves how good a coach he is. Take a look at where they finish year in and year out in recruiting. Rarely a top 10 finish. Most years between 15 and 25, but his teams constantly finishing in the top 10.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That carries it's own set of problems. Better to have a team with some mutts mixed in. Those pure breds can be fun to look at but.............

9. P&G Fan

P&G Fan GEAUX TIGERS!!

Look at www.cfbdatawarehouse.com and there's tons of info on teams there. It says that Georgia was the 1942 national champions when you look up Georgia's info! Great info about LSU!

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ