My top 5 Heisman List

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 4, 2013.

1. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Because he will still need Mariota or Winston to really fall hard. And he won't put up those kind of numbers against all those teams. He's played noone save for a K-State team who at least play good defense in that division. Don't get me wrong, I will be crazy impressed if he performs that way against the toughest teams he'll face in the regular season. But he won't. So it's moot. They're still Baylor. And despite our collective disrespect of the Big "12" Texas and OU are still gonna punch them in the mouth.

And say what you will about McCarron, but he's trending no lower than 5th or 6th on most predictors. I don't think he has a legit chance to win but he's got enough quality opportunities left to get an invitation.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Strictly by virtue of being the QB on one of the top teams in the country. He's a piece of shit.

StaceyO likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But I'm not predicting he and his team wins out. I said IF they do, I contend he wins the Heisman. That's the question I need you to answer. You say he doesn't if they win out? You still think that? Even though you will be "crazy impressed" if he does win out?

Mariota still has Stanford, a tough Oregon State rivalry game that tends to get crazy, and then possibly Arizona State or USC in the PAC 12 CG. And the Arizona road game vs Rich Rod won't be a layup either. So we can argue Mariota has just as much opportunity as Petty to impress the voters.

Winston's issue is he doesn't have that kind of schedule down the stretch, and we all know the Heisman usually comes down to who had their Heisman moment last. Miami appears to be fraudulent and VTech sucks, and that's his two possibilities in the ACC CG. Again, not much of a statement will be made there.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The big question is: do we really think that Heisman voters will crown the second Baylor QB in three years, or 3 players from Texas schools 3 years in a row?

And for the randomly funny: my 7th grader just walked in from car pool, "Were you aware that there is a HAWK eating another bird in our front yard? There are feathers EVERYWHERE!" May Bama be reduced to a pile of dead bird feathers after our game on Saturday. I'm going to take it as a sign.

asignupe99 likes this.
  5. asignupe99

What I'm saying is...yes I will be crazy impressed if BAYLOR wins out, because that's just not what Baylor does. But I still feel he will need either Mariota or Winston to lay an egg in order for him to win it. Those two will be the best players on two of the best teams (hopefully THE best teams after we handle Bama this weekend). Noone is going to put Baylor, as a team, ahead of Oregon or FSU if all three are undefeated. And that's gonna trickle down to the Heisman candidates too. Let's say all three are undefeated. All three will likely be the primary reasons why...even though Petty has a Heisman contender in his backfield. With no obvious stats to visibly distinguish them since they all are close in every measurable category...who's team is better? It won't be Baylor.

6. islstl

I agree that Lache Seastrunk potentially takes some votes away from Petty.

You have made a convincing argument that Petty does not win the Heisman if all 3 of those teams go undefeated.

FSU and Oregon also get an extra conference championship game.

Looks like Petty would have to start throwing 5 to 6 TDs per game in order to separate himself statistically to have any chance.

7. islstl

Extremely unimpressed with Petty.

Does not appear ready for the limelight.

8. asignupe99

Well, he didn't have a horrible game...and Mariota did him a favor, so he's certainly in that two slot. Makes his next few weeks even more important. I know Oklahoma never wins the big games but that Baylor defense came to play. I still don't believe they take down Okie Light, Texas Tech, AND Texas but I like there chances a lot better after last night. Winston has to be the favorite now though.

9. islstl

He did play well enough after the first 3 quarters.

I do think that if FSU and Baylor both drop a game, that Johnny Fooseball is going to win it again. Unless he plays horribly at LSU, which I hope he does.

10. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

So the question around here all season in Jax is who should the Jags draft with the number one pick?

I was high on Mariota as that guy all year especially as a dual-threat QB.

Not so sure about that now...