Myles Brennan suffers broken arm in practice

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Aug 2, 2021.

1. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I am not as down on Max as you make it seem. I also don't believe that Brennan would be sacked more, that's an unknown right now. My thoughts behind it are that maybe a senior QB with a bigger arm would have a better chance with this o-line and lack of a running game because he might know where he is going with the baller sooner and can make all the throws that Max cant. For the record, I am NOT knocking Max.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Hard to truly judge because of the OL, but sometimes Max makes weird, off balance throws or does those little hops when it's not necessary. When he sets his feet and squares up, he's shown he has good enough arm strength and pretty good accuracy. He just needs to do that more. Some of that could be because he's expecting pressure even when it isn't coming, and it's hard to blame him for that, I guess.

That's something that is absolutely coachable/fixable, though, so if they can coach that out of him, he could take a big step forward.

furduknfish and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The argument for Max over Myles behind a suspect line goes that Max is more mobile, which is a necessity with poor protection. I suppose the argument for Myles is that, with more experience, he will go through progressions quicker and get the ball out faster. Its a good argument until you consider that the 2 QBs' time in the current system is equal, and as a starter, Brennan now is actually less experienced than Johnson.

4. LSU_4_LIFE

I agree on the more mobile part, but we are not using his mobility to our advantage (see my long post above). He looks scared to leave the pocket.

I guess its wishful thinking that a senior QB who sat behind a Heisman winner for 2 years and has a bigger arm would be an advantage in this current offense because he can read the defense better pre-snap, go through his progressions quicker and make throws that Max cant.

Regardless of any of that, our problem still remains to be the offensive line and running game.

Hou-duco likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No, I get what you're saying about Brennan's time in the program and behind Joe. I wouldn't call it wishful thinking, more like unrealized. It makes sense, but we really don't know its true. In order to test it, you have to pull the guy who for the most part is getting the job done and is developing chemistry with his teammates. Its a gamble that I don't think is warranted right now. I agree with wanting to see Max tuck it and run a little.

furduknfish and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Didn't say you were knocking Max. This was a general post and there are some here who are down on Max. Also some think Nuss should play more. I would use Nuss is some scripted plays to make defenses have to worry and spend time preparing. Not saying Nuss won't eventually be a good QB for us but he aint there yet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

Good Points. Max isn't our problem right now and like you said, there is no evidence that Brennan would be the answer either.

Ed O said today that Brennan is on pace to return during our bye week. By then, Max should be much more ingrained into the offense. What I can see happening, is we will be getting destroyed by Bama, we put Brennan in and he plays better in garbage time and we end the year with a QB controversy. Which wont be good either.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Bet you a million dollars O has instructed Max to rarely leave the pocket cause we are so thin at QB. I think that is what you are seeing.

kcal likes this.
  9. LSU_4_LIFE

Yep. And I get it, but I hate it. If Burrow didn't leave the pocket on some critical drives against Auburn and Alabama in 2019, we probably would have lost those games. Without Burrow (if he got hurt), there would have been no natty. We took risks and didn't play scared then, why are we playing scared now? Especially if his job is on the line.

mctiger likes this.
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I can't disagree with that. At some point to win you gotta let it all hang out. Max is running more though. I noticed that Saturday.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.