NASA: 2009 tied for 2nd-warmest year, 00s hottest decade too

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by ok awesome, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

NASA: 2009 tied for 2nd-warmest year, 00s hottest decade too

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont beleive it. nasa is gov and gov just wants to get bigger. control more of our lives and make us vote dem.

sorry, i figured i'd chime in for the gop posse around here that have somehow missed this post.

3. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

GISS – Garbage In / Globaloney Out

From Joseph D’Aleo and E. Michael Smith's Climategate -- American Style

The scientists at NASA’s GISS are widely considered to be the world’s leading researchers into atmospheric and climate changes. And their Surface Temperature (GISTemp) analysis system is undoubtedly the premiere source for global surface temperature anomaly reports.

In creating its widely disseminated maps and charts, the program merges station readings collected from the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) with GHCN and USHCN data from NOAA.

It then puts the merged data through a few “adjustments” of its own.

First, it further “homogenizes” stations, supposedly adjusting for UHI by (according to NASA) changing “the long term trend of any non-rural station to match the long term trend of their rural neighbors, while retaining the short term monthly and annual variations.” Of course, the reduced number of stations will have the same effect on GISS’s UHI correction as it did on NOAA’s discontinuity homogenization – the creation of artificial warming.

Furthermore, in his communications with me, Smith cited boatloads of problems and errors he found in the Fortran code written to accomplish this task, ranging from hot airport stations being mismarked as “rural” to the “correction” having the wrong sign (+/-) and therefore increasing when it meant to decrease or vice-versa.

And according to NASA, “If no such neighbors exist or the overlap of the rural combination and the non-rural record is less than 20 years, the station is completely dropped; if the rural records are shorter, part of the non-rural record is dropped.”

However, Smith points out that a dropped record may be “from a location that has existed for 100 years.” For instance, if an aging piece of equipment gets swapped out, thereby changing its identification number, the time horizon reinitializes to zero years. Even having a large enough temporal gap (e.g., during a world war) might cause the data to “just get tossed out.”

But the real chicanery begins in the next phase, wherein the planet is flattened and stretched onto an 8,000-box grid, into which the time series are converted to a series of anomalies (degree variances from the baseline). Now, you might wonder just how one manages to fill 8,000 boxes using 1,500 stations.

Here’s NASA’s solution:
    For each grid box, the stations within that grid box and also any station within 1200km of the center of that box are combined using the reference station method.

Even on paper, the design flaws inherent in such a process should be glaringly obvious.

So it’s no surprise that Smith found many examples of problems surfacing in actual practice. He offered me Hawaii for starters. It seems that all of the Aloha State’s surviving stations reside in major airports. Nonetheless, this unrepresentative hot data is what’s used to “infill” the surrounding “empty” Grid Boxes up to 1200 km out to sea. So in effect, you have “jet airport tarmacs ‘standing in’ for temperature over water 1200 km closer to the North Pole.”

An isolated problem? Hardly, reports Smith.

From KUSI’s Global Warming: The Other Side:
    “There’s a wonderful baseline for Bolivia -- a very high mountainous country -- right up until 1990 when the data ends. And if you look on the [GISS] November 2009 anomaly map, you’ll see a very red rosy hot Bolivia [boxed in blue]. But how do you get a hot Bolivia when you haven’t measured the temperature for 20 years?”
    [​IMG]

Of course, you already know the answer: GISS simply fills in the missing numbers – originally cool, as Bolivia contains proportionately more land above 10,000 feet than any other country in the world with hot ones available in neighboring stations on a beach in Peru or somewhere in the Amazon jungle.

Remember that single station north of 65° latitude which they located in a warm section of northern Canada? Joe D’Aleo explained its purpose: “To estimate temperatures in the Northwest Territory [boxed in green above], they either have to rely on that location or look further south.”

Pretty slick, huh?

And those are but a few examples. In fact, throughout the entire grid, cooler station data are dropped and “filled in” by temperatures extrapolated from warmer stations in a manner obviously designed to overestimate warming...

...And convince you that it’s your fault.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

It takes a real loser to believe or be convinced that his life matters enough to cause such harm to the planet or environment.
    You might as well believe in the tooth fairy!

Why don't people just get out and enjoy life for a change instead of trying to ruin it at every turn?
    Maybe guilt has got the better of some.
    What some feel guilt about I feel fortunate about.
    Its all a matter of perspective!

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i stand by my original post.

and stop bringing your baggage into this. no one said anything about it being anyones fault.

6. Texas_Tiger

It's not baggage, it's a counter argument to the "Man Made" Global Warming scam. You liberals sure get touchy when someone disagrees with you

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

again, no one here mentioned "man made". im not touchy, you are reactionary.

8. Texas_Tiger

I'm reactionary because I refuse to buy into the political agenda that drives "Man Made" Global Warming, or Climate Change or whatever the Dem's call it these days?

The whole Copenhagen Climate Conference centered around mans role in Global Warming.

All I did was post a rebuttal that was posted by ok awesome, if you can't respond with anything of substance, that's your problem.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

no, you inserted a different issue into the thread which shows your sensitivity and bias.

10. Texas_Tiger

No, I inserted reasons by which NASA's conclusions are being questioned.

You were the first one to bring up a political stance, which shows your bias