NASCAR limiting speed again

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Rwilliams, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

NASCAR has imposed a 1/64 " smaller restrictor plate and also has made adjustments to the cooling systems to slow the boys down. Speeds hit a high point of 206 mph and also had 204 sustained speeds. They have a want to limit speeds to under 200. I know it's for safety but damn let the boys race. My 2 cents.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

+1. Don't what kind of speeds they want to produce; we'll see how they run today in the 125's, but I can't imagine 190-195 is significantly safer than 205.

3. Remnant

Remnant Freshman

I agree. I really don't see why they are antsy with speed of over 206mph. Leave those cars alone :)

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I think they do it for the media. Saying look at how safe we are trying to be. It's been that way since that car ( forget where) went into the fence airborne and almost went into the stands a couple years ago.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVZoWiQEpM"]YouTube - [Best view] Carl Edwards flying car NASCAR 2009[/ame]

Talladega, where the wall is higher than Daytona.

Anything over 200 presents the opportunity to get a car airborne. Objecting to such a scenario IS in the interest of safety, fan safety. Slowing the cars down to less than 10 MPH under capacity does nothing other than keep the cars grounded. Drivers have now figured out how to keep the cars cool without having to swap positions. The race will be fine.