NASCAR question

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Rwilliams, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We used to see large packs at the restrictor plate races and now they're racing in pairs. What is diffrent that the pack racing is over and they are pair racing?

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The changes they made to the body design changed the aerodynamics, is how I understand it. For some reason, 2 cars together are faster than 3, or 4, etc.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I miss the pack racing! I wish they would go back

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

They also made the restrictor plate even bigger taking away a lot of the cars power. The 2x racing seems to work well. The big crash was always sort of fun to watch but when it takes out 3/4 of the field it really takes a lot away from the race.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I'm a rocketman fan and have been for about ten years. He saved the car but fell back in the pack. Damn!

6. mctiger

Yep. I was at 'Dega in '01 when the Cup race went caution free, and it was amazing. I was also there the following year when both the Cup and Natty races lost 25+ cars to The Big One. The one in the Nats race occurred on lap 3, and took out everyone running behind the second place car. The race went over 100 laps with the top two cars drafting each other and about a dozen other bad cars a lap behind. Talk about excruciating!

7. shane0911

Caution Free!! at Talledega? Or do you mean no big crash? I can't remember any race going caution free outside of Michigan in my lifetime especially the longest and fastest track that they run on.

8. mctiger

Caution free. 188 green flag laps. That was the year of Earnhardt's death. Bobby Hamilton was the winner, and he had to be pulled from the car afterward; he was completely exhausted.

9. shane0911

That is amazing, I was wondering how I could have missed that but it was during the time I was a drill sgt and those days are pretty much a vacuum of anything other than army stuff. Could be why I don't remember it. 1 more bullet of useless trivia to add to the magazine. Thanks.