National Championship (BCS) Formula back to polls

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ramah, Aug 4, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

The new BCS formula for NC this season is as follows:

AP poll, Coaches' poll and Computer rankings (exclusive of the NYT poll) counts for one-third of BCS ranking.

Strength of schedule, # of losses and quality win points are history.

Teams like USC who play nobody cannot be penalized with a #74 SOS.

It still should boil down to the unbeatens ... most every year ... and this does not favor LSU with a tough conference slate ...

Even yet, ~I~F~ 2004 ends exactly as 2003 with LSU on top ... I can guarantee USC will play crybaby again and claim a NC.

This new formula sux and only favors teams like USC and encourages rent-a-win scheduling to pad the win column.

2. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Well, I like to look at this from Saban's perspective. Who gives a damn. We know what we have to do. We'll worry about where we stand bowl-wise when the smoke clears.

3. dscott3

dscott3 Founding Member

Lack of a conference champ game

Don't forget, If LSU makes it to the cconference
    champ game each year they have to play the
    second best team in the conference (sometimes
    for the second time). If one BCS conference has a
    champ game, they all should have one. Or give favor
    to teams that win their conference the hard way.
    I'm sorry 5 team divisions in a 10 team conference
    will work. Besides this year (USC is allowed to play
    an extra game), a PAC 10 school might be playing for
    a NC while a team with the same amount of wins is not.

4. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Yeah, I always wondered why the NCAA says you have to have 12 schools to have a championship game. What's wrong with the 5-5 setup? Anyone know the reason for that rule?

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

this is news? you act like you're in saudi arabia.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I like Saban but the BCS system is what put him in position to be the highest paid coach in NCAAF. Trust me he is a competitor and anything that is put in place like this new crappy rent a win system that does not allow him to compete WILL p**s him off during his private time.

Publicly he can say what he wants.

Remember I said I like Saban!! Put the knives away. :grin:

7. BB

BB Founding Member

I truly hate to say this and I am cringing as I type this, but here is my idea for the Conference Championship Game. The fact that some schools have to play their way over a final hurdle and others do not is the most unfair element to the entire argument and formula.

If one SEC team is BCS Championship Game bound prior to playing the SEC Championship game (and the other is not), the league should crown them champs and forgo the game for the sake of the Conference. This way of thinking is awful and extremely fan unfriendly, but it’s beyond all of us how unfair the CCG is in the long run. In 2001, I was ecstatic that we won an SEC Championship, but Tennessee was bound for the BCS Championship Game. The SEC lost a lot of money and exposure possibilities after the Tigers whipped UT.

To level the playing field, I say we send our BCS one or two on to the BCS Championship without an SEC CG in years where it would make a difference.

Like I said before, the idea sucks. But, the reality of USC and others running a shorter race to get the same prize sucks even more.

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

I see orange when the smoke clears ... from my Cohiba Siglo IVs ... nyuk nyuk nyuk

Orange after a serious punking of those poor slobs on our schedule

I see a team so full of speed and talent, 28 NFL organizations have purchased season tickets from LSU

I see a team whose time has come this year ... as long expected.

No let up ... only better. LSU will run away with the SEC & NC this season ... one game at a time.

:lsug: :champs: :helmet:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

BB what u fail to grasp is that those conferences agreed to the conference championship games knowing the system already in place. its not like they were forced to have one.

10. BB

BB Founding Member

No, I understand that - but, sometimes it's best to reevaluate things and consider changes...