National Title Hopes Hinge on beating Florida

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by T-Time, May 13, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yea, that's one way to think about it... nobody from our defense went in the first round either, but that doesn't mean we don't have big holes to fill. We lost the best DT combo in probably all of college football, but you're going to say since they weren't drafted in the first round it isn't that big of a loss? I don't think so. I look at it as Bama having lost some leadership and some of its best talent, so even with a strong system - it won't be as good of a D as you're use to.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

That's because of one young man's unfortunate pot habit :p

Nobody here doubts Laron is a 1st rounder either.

3. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

To make this relevant they will need a time machine.

What is very relevant is that their head coach is Mike Shula. Please correct me where I am mistaken here....

Mike Shula engineered a 14-16 defeat to LSU at Bama in 84.
    Mike Shula led Bama to their only blemish (14-14) in Tiger Stadium in that 31 year stretch those guys bring up all the time.
    Then Mike, as a senior, displayed the leadership that would one day land him the Bama HC job by delivering a 10-14 bama loss at home.

As a HC at Bama, Mike Shula has shown he still does not know how to beat LSU.

On the other hand LSU seems to have no problem at Bama. 9 of 12 on a streak that, unlike Bamas, is relevant TODAY.

Good luck with that time machine.

4. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

hey man, you have a great point.

I was just stating previous history.

I know it doesnt matter now. but they still owned us back then.

5. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

alabama did have demeco ryans drafted 33. im just saying that for how high that defense was, that they didnt produce any first rounders says a lot about either A. the system or B. the overall quality of the unit as a group. to have that many players who were big enough, fast enough, or whatever in the NFL shows how great they played as a college team

6. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Man, I'd forgotten about the bama game last year. We snapped their winning streak at Bryant Denny. Boy that was great. By the way, if we're playing Auburn at Jordan-Hare, worry. We haven't won there since at least 1999. Someone'd have to look up the exact statistic. But I've never seen us win there. I think that's gonna be a stiffer test than Florida. We'll see.

7. TigerNtz

TigerNtz Ridley

How great the feeling was last year to be in Tuscaloosa to beat bama and destroy thier season!
    I agree that Auburn is our biggest test of the year. I think that we are lucky to play them early every year, because AU is a team that steadily gets ALOT better as the season progresses.

The last LSU - AU game at Jordan-Hare was in 04, two days after hurricane Ivan hit... LSU and AU always have crazy match-ups against one another, I like it!

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Why will it be Florida, and not Auburn, that will be our toughest test? Under Meyer, Florida hasn't proven anything yet. Auburn on the other hand, has been incredibly difficult for LSU to go into and win at their stadium. I think Miles knows that the Auburn game will go further in determining our fate than any other game & I suspect a good amount of emphasis will be placed on it. As of now, it's just too early to know what kind of team Florida will be. I'm not on the Meyer bandwagon yet. I think he'll need more than 1 year to turn this team around (although I did call them getting 9 wins last season).

Too many LSU fans overlook this game and this team. Hopefully our coaches do not. So they lost a decent QB? That will stop them from being a good team? Doubtful. Bama will win atleast 7 games & definitely be bowling.

Ole Miss will be interesting next year. I see them winning 5 games, maybe 6 and going to a bowl if they catch some breaks. They will have extra motivation to play us hard as their new OC & Oline coach landed there after being fired due to the whipping we (aka Flynn sole handedly :hihi: )handed Miami.

It's the last game of the season, which means we'll probably be getting Arkansas' best shot as they will quite possibly not be going to a bowl. And add on to the fact that the entire season will be a learning curve for their new HS OC, and we will probably be facing the best squad the team will field all year.

9. T-Time

T-Time Never Satisfied

Starting out 4-1 would be a big dissapointment.

Because that means we probably won't go to the SEC championship.

The only way Auburn beats us is if they go undefeated or only lose one game.

Which means we wouldn't be going to the SEC championship.

So how can you say things would be very positive if we would be out of the SEC title race at week 5?

10. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Destroyed our season? I wouldn't go that far...